• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unforgiven

Dibbons

Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Is that a Torino? A "forgivable" inquiry?

I guess the most excusable wrong guess I have heard is the one my neighbor made this morning regarding the 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus, even I can see a resemblance. Anyone else want to share a "forgivable" mistake in identification of your own Mopar make and model for someone that came close, but no cigar--post here! (photo #1 '72 SSP "before", photo #2 '70 Ford Torino Cobra, photos #3 & #4 '72 SSP "after")

before.JPG Ford Torino Cobra 1970.jpg after.JPG after 2.JPG

Last edited:
Ma Mopar copied the others a few times. It was like they were a couple of years behind GM and Ford with a few models.
The 68-70 Charger rear window was similar to the 66-67 Chevelle and Tempest. The 71-74 B bodies looked a bit like the 68-72 Chevelle, Cutlass and LeMans. The Challenger side windows looked like a 69 Camaro.

My 67 Coronet is referred to as a Chevy at least twice a month. I heard a father telling his son that it was a Chevy RT. I didn't correct the guy because at that age a boys father is his hero. I do wish that I could buy Dodge parts at Chevy prices though.

My favorite is the old “I know someone that had a car just like this”.......oh really there’s another 71 Charger R/T Six Pack GY3 car out there?........“well no it was a (insert Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Olds, etc.) but it looked just like it.“

I was gassing up few years back and someone asked if my ‘71 Charger was a Starsky & Hutch car - so I feel for you. It was a couple younger guys, early 30’s I’d guess, so I gave em a pass.

Drove my 66 Satellite to work the other day. A guy I work with said to me yesterday. "Was that your Road Runner in the parking lot last week?"

Is that a Torino? A "forgivable" inquiry?

I guess the most excusable wrong guess I have heard is the one my neighbor made this morning regarding the 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus, even I can see a resemblance. Anyone else want to share a "forgivable" mistake in identification of your own Mopar make and model for someone that came close, but no cigar--post here! (photo #1 '72 SSP "before", photo #2 '70 Ford Torino Cobra, photos #3 & #4 '72 SSP "after")

View attachment 989071 View attachment 989073 View attachment 989076 View attachment 989078

As a life long Mopar guy, still appreciate the '70 Torino 429SCJ, a neat piece. I still recall the yellow /black one that cruised our lake area & the McDonalds, and tire chirp from the Detroit Locker.

Someone called my ol' 68 Barracuda Formula S 383 4bbl 4 speed fastback
(decades ago) a nice Shelby Mustang

I had a guy in Autozone parking-lot call my 68 RR,
with a lift-off 6bbl hood on it, a nice Chevelle
(a couple years back)

I was with a friend in his 68 Dart GTS 383 4bbl 4 speed Convertible
a guy called it a really nice Nova
(decades ago now)

I don't take it to heart, I will correct them usually too
depends on the moment, attitude etc.

Towing my 69GT350 on an open car hauler on the way to Florida from Utah. Stop at a rest stop. When I walked back to my truck a woman stopped me and told me “that’s a beautiful Charger you have”.

I just said thank you, and moved on.

Lump heads call the GTX a GTO all the time. Frankly it rarely fails unless they know Mopars.... annoying

I had a young engineer who stops by the shop every once in a while ask me when I was going to let him drive my GTO? I told him as soon as I get one.
Can't fault these young guys I guess. At least they seem to appreciate the look of classic American Iron. No sense getting our panties in a bunch, up to us to educate them!

I've had a few people confuse my '79 300 with a Grand Prix from the rear.

IMG_1779-copy.jpg
2-1513357911914.jpg

Pictures from the internet. This isn't my '79

:thumbsup:Some of us are car guys that will know the difference and some are on their way to being able to know the difference. And some will never know!

My 67 Coronet is referred to as a Chevy at least twice a month. I heard a father telling his son that it was a Chevy RT. I didn't correct the guy because at that age a boys father is his hero. I do wish that I could buy Dodge parts at Chevy prices though.

same thing happened to me ..... exactly. It’s best thank’em and move on

Auto Transport Service
Back