• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The universe is such a waste.

SteveSS

Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
I'm not looking to find any great answers here but the more I look into it the universe is such a pointless waste.

Let's examine the earth. It's big but it seems to have its purpose of providing sustenance for life although there are big sections that don't do much like deserts and ice masses. They are still important though.

The moon? Helps the tides I guess, the rest of the planets seem superfluous except the sun. It's the big dog engine running everything.

Outside our solar system who cares. The billions of solar systems in the billions of galaxies even the groups that are near us don't matter except to recognize the incredible number of them and their distances from us. Then galaxies just keep going and going and going for truly unimaginable distances. Rocks, minerals, gasses, gravity, and explosions don't matter in the least to us or to any system that would care to record them. Less important than a tiny wave in an ocean.

If we take all the religions and add them up, they are all self-centric. The Gods are all concerned about us and therefore not at all concerned about what's going on a billion light-years away in the universe.

It's a possibility we are the only advanced form of life in the universe and to me that seems like such a waste. I don't mean the universe HAS to have a meaning it just seems wasteful if it doesn't.

n > Quotes > Quotable Quote​

(?)
Carl Sagan

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”​

What happens if we nuke ourselves out of existence? Or a giant asteroid hits? Well, too bad here's a big lfeless universe for no reason at all. Seems nonsensical.

It's a possibility we are the only advanced form of life in the universe and to me that seems like such a waste. I don't mean the universe HAS to have a meaning it just seems wasteful if it doesn't.

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.”​

I could NOT disagree more with these comments / opinions. When you look at the beauty of the earth, all it's life, all it's splendor, and above all, the humanity that inhabits her... it is only fitting that the universe be the realm that holds this magnificence. It is far from an awful waste of space, if it is the place where people can love one another.
I could never regard this universe as a waste if it's the place I was able to love my wife, my children, my family, my friends, and yes the many others I don't even know. It's not a waste if we could live, love, and learn, and experience life. It doesn't matter if there is, or not, any other sentient lifeforms. Our lives, with the loved ones in it... is far from a waste... it is a blessing.

What is the meaning of life?

On this train of thought, there is no meaning. Well, that leads down a dark path.
I have my own reasons/meaning to life. And in my opinion having my own meaning and reasons IS a significant aspect of the meaning of life and the universe, without getting into a bunch of stuff.

Rejecting possibility and accepting emptiness because the human race has not figured it out yet is short sighted, no offense. The entire purpose of this message board(cars) was invented in my Grandfather's lifetime. Time is an interesting thing. My point is the human race finds itself to be the master of everything, over and over, and continues to prove itself wrong, over and over. One thing we never discover is absolute humility. Dismissing possibility because we haven't found ourselves the master(and proven ourselves wrong) yet is silly.
Is life out there? Maybe.
Is there a reason all this STUFF exists? Probably.
Do I know? Nope. Probably won't in my short lifetime. But that is fine. Countless others have gone before me without knowing things. My Great Grandfather didn't get to know about the internet, as an example. His father did not know about microwaves. Now I am hungry, I am going to go make a hot dog in 25 seconds.

That statement is a bunch of nonsense, if it's not for the giant exterior planets, the life on earth would not be possible, why? Take example of the shoemaker levy comet if it's not for Jupiter it would be collide to the earth, Same goes to Saturn, Jupiter is the big attractor of objects from the Orth cloud, the moon is not only there for tides,( the sun is also guilty for the tides) also stabilize the earth axes allowing an stable climate, and also slow down the earth, therfore an stable day night 24+ hour period, and please remember if it's not for a super nova explosion billions of years ago in another part of the universe, the Iron in your mopar, in your blood, the calcium in your bones, the oxigen you breathe would not exist, this and all the elements that allow the miracle of life ( you included )were created in a different star than the sun, use your free time to check your facts my friend, you tend to create treads from whatever cross your mind, we are star dust created in another part of this vast universe, maybe you want to review the Fermi paradox...
Fermi paradox - Wikipedia

Last edited:
The universe is not pointless or a waste. It challenges us to learn something new and to grow..... and the real gift is that it is so huge (and also small), (and also in infinite multitudes?!) that we will never get to the end of the puzzle. Millions of years in the future we will STILL be uncovering new things. There will be something new and fascinating for us to explore and uncover until the end of time. Discovering, being challenged, exploring, growing is what drives the human race (insert your favorite Star Trek quote here).

I think 99.999999% could be paired down and we'd be fine. I think the true answer is there really is no reason for it. I'm okay with that but I'm saying it just feels wasteful. As humans, we can make great discoveries for the next 100,000 years and then a maverick star blows up the whole thing There's just no reason for all of it. Eventually, all the stars will burn out.

I guess the lesson should be to party on our little planet or other races on their planets as long as as hard as we can.

It's the WHY that gets me. WHY make all this stuff?

A wise philosopher once remarked that the questions of the Universe should always be asked on Muscle Car forums as you will find Satellites, Polaras, Mercury's Comets, Novas, Galaxies...

Auto Transport Service
Back