• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Words we have never heard of" thread....

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
I'll start. This rarely happens to me because I read a lot. I'm also a writer. But today, while reading a funny/ witty book written by a female lawyer, about life in general, she used the word USUFRUCT.
Looks made up to me. Or perhaps an acronym for some government program or DARPA invention..
I had never heard of, nor had I ever seen this word. EVER. I was surprised. Like I said, it rarely happens. Now I know.
Run across an unknown word lately? Post it up, enlightenment is a good thing.

Ghost.

usufruct
[ˈyo͞ozəˌfrəkt, ˈyo͞osəˌfrəkt]
NOUN
law
  1. the right to enjoy the use and advantages of another's property short of the destruction or waste of its substance

A usufruct is a legal right accorded to a person or party that confers the temporary right to use and derive income or benefit from someone else's property. ... While the usufructuary has the right to use the property, they cannot damage or destroy it or dispose of the property.

Farctate
from Latin Fracire,
the meaning to fill or stuff

Cavil
a verb
to raise trivial & often many times irritating objections
or to find faults etc.

A usufruct is a legal right accorded to a person or party that confers the temporary right to use and derive income or benefit from someone else's property. ... While the usufructuary has the right to use the property, they cannot damage or destroy it or dispose of the property.
I am the usufructuary on my property line. The people out back have the right to use the final 30'x 200' strip along the end to come and go from their property. It's basically a shortcut from their house instead of driving all the way around their 60 acres, and the next 110 acres and my 11 acres to go to town. I don't use that end anyway. They haven't used it in years either.

Philodox
from Greek,
Philos meaning love & Doxa meaning glory

Fatuous
meaning, silly yet smug

Phrontistery
meaning; the use of or collection of obscure rarely used words
vague description/definition it was really long
I shortened it

Jollux
meaning; Noun
18th century word to describe a "fat person"

Semaphore, visual signaling device. Typicly a flag man but can be a traffic light, train crossing signal, ect.

I never heard of Juneteenth until a couple of weeks ago. I suspect others will agree.

means Mo-Parts :poke: mo fo me

Chrysler Corp. division of replacement parts for Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth
known as MoPar
Oh c'mon, you really needed to tell 'ME' what Mopar really stands for?? LOL

Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia otherwise known as an ice cream headache

Auto Transport Service
Back