• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There is just nothing like a classic car with manual steering

Well, if you want to encourage young folks to get into driving old cars and trucks it helps that they don't have to be power lifting champs to be able to steer them. Especially, women.

I don’t have any problems Parallel parking, I like the challenge. I also took my motorcycle skills test on a full dress Harley. The instructor said I was the first person ever to show up on a full dresser, and he was impressed that I passed with flying colors. I take control of my machines, and like it just that way!

Well now.....just wait until you are still driving a factory fast ratio manual steering A-body as you approach the 80th year of life. It's great on the open road, but you will need the arm strength of a 60 year old when you want to park the dang thing. A-body, not B-body mind you.
Requests to have the wife sit in my lap to help muscle the steering wheel into submission when parking have gone the way of the wind. My hurt feelings are now paired with sore arms.
But hey.....this is what car guys must put up with....it goes with the territory.

Well, if you want to encourage young folks to get into driving old cars and trucks it helps that they don't have to be power lifting champs to be able to steer them. Especially, women.
So....you're saying today's young folks are softer than we were at their age, back when these cars were built new, or even later on as we bought them used?
R.jpg

Kumbaya....:lol:

I like both
my current 68RR has PS, Uni-steer Rack & pinion,
very precise 245/60/15 front & 295/50/15 rear
it's not the free-floating 1 finger style, loosey goosey
many of these cars had
I like it especially on these curvey *** mountain roads
it came with PS org., it was OK,
just nothing like what it has now
but still has manual brakes, it came with 12x3" manual Drum brakes too
you need/ed to plan to brake a bit more
(if you go to discs & manual, get the smaller 15/16th MC, better feel)
but not too shabby

I've had combos both ways
I don't mind manual steering or brakes
with wide tires it's a sort of a pain when not moving etc.
once you start to roll, it is easy to steer

it is different when I step into my 99 SLT Dakota 4x4
feel like a luxury car, I'm back in 21st century again :poke:
with power rack & power brakes (slotted drilled rotor & EBC pads),
power windows, A/C etc.
it'd be a bitch to steer with 11.5x32" tires with manual steering
& at empty 4,800# (it's rarely empty) manual brakes
would/could be life-changing with all the deer around here

my 85 y/o dad (he was closer to 75 at the time) had issues
trying to park my old Silver 68 RR with manual steering
he likes to drive my current RR, thinks it's too much power
but it's easy to drive

My skinny wife has no problem with no power steering, nor did any gal or guy back in the day.....it's kinda like walking to school uphill both directions in the winter....young kids need to toughen up, some day they might actually have to start doing blue collar jobs when us old folks fade away....good luck with that.

Auto Transport Service
Back