• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad dry fuel bowl at cold start and restart

But the top part does rock a little before it is tightened down.
...it rides on the x-seals. Tightening it down compresses the seals and make them seal.

If it dropped right in before then the x-seals wouldnt seal properly.
Hi Jonas,
Thanks for the education. Concern that seal around the perimeter of the air horn is tight, don’t want to over tighten the screws.
Resealed the orginal fuel bowl last night, tested this morning, no leaks, intend to use it.
The problem started with the bowl leaking now that seems to be fixed, keep the second bowl in reserve.
Agree?

Hi Jonas,
Thanks for the education. Concern that seal around the perimeter of the air horn is tight, don’t want to over tighten the screws.
Resealed the orginal fuel bowl last night, tested this morning, no leaks, intend to use it.
The problem started with the bowl leaking now that seems to be fixed, keep the second bowl in reserve.
Agree?
Yes, always keep the bowls.
Tighten screws to 30 inch pounds in a criss cross pattern. Start and end with the two in the primaries.

Hi Jonas,
Agree?
Hi Jonas,

Just noticed that my orginal fuel bowl has casting or part number 0-2409-A, while second bowl has number 0-2383-A.
They look identical, but maybe they are slightly different.
Do you have any clue what the numbers mean?
Thanks

Charlied,

Replying to post #59. Air cleaner rocks on carb top.

Two reasons I can think of:
- later TQs had a taller mounting lug for the acc pump linkage. Can hit the AC base. Compare both tops side by side.
- some TQ tops had a raised section above the float bowl section of the top. Easily seen if compared side by side.

I have dimpled/massaged many AC bases in the past to fit TQs.
Keep at it you will get there!!

Hi Jonas,

Just noticed that my orginal fuel bowl has casting or part number 0-2409-A, while second bowl has number 0-2383-A.
Thanks
Hi Jonas,

Thanks
Here it is, done went together smoothly. Put it on the car Sunday. Thanks again for your advice and encouragement, much appreciated.

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

Charlied,

- later TQs had a taller mounting lug for the acc pump linkage. Can hit the AC base. Compare both tops side by side.
- some TQ tops had a raised section above the float bowl section of the top. Easily seen if compared side by side.

Charlied,

Hi Geoff,
Well it’s done, went together smoothly, all linkage good no binding anywhere. Hope to install Sunday.
Thanks again for all your help and encouragement much appreciated.

IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1734.jpeg

IMG_1733.jpeg

Ch,
I do not know if your particular carb has this, but at some point Carter changed the acc pump linkage to a two-stage design so that some pump shot was saved for when the secs opened. Very clever. Good luck!

Hi Jonas,

Thanks
No worries. Just compare them carefully and check the passages.
Some bowls can be wider than others so check that your fast idle cam isnt binding against the plastic body.

Im running a 6545 bowl with 6322 top now, no problems.

I did the first cleaning on a carb yesterday and it cleaned pretty good, but left some stuff. It may be that I had parts in zip lock bags and they interfered with the cleaning action. I put some injector cleaner in one bag, but didn't notice any difference. I used dish detergent, but today I'll try laundry detergent on the body of the Holley 2300 being rebuilt, then on to Pine-Sol and more caustic cleaners. The machine uses a 1/3 steam table pan (5x5x11) so I got a 1/3 plastic pan to use as a liner to keep the machine clean
Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 7.38.48 AM.png
. Photos are coming

So I ran everything 15 minutes with pine-Sol and everything came out pretty clean. There are still oily grime on a lever and dust on the bottom side of the float. I tried acetone, but that didn't take off the caked dust on the bottom of the float. Maybe a weak Miuratic Acid solution? I know eats the dust, but it's harsh on finishes and aluminum.

P1014928 2.JPG
P1014930 2.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back