• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat Housings

IMHO, I’d be making sure the housing is flat,flat. OE housing & thermostat housing and never a leak with a normal gasket & regular gasket sealer on both sides. Maybe I’m lucky?

Thanks for all the replies. Might have a OE on the way. I've always said you can't beat what Ma Mopar originally used.

IMHO, I’d be making sure the housing is flat,flat. OE housing & thermostat housing and never a leak with a normal gasket & regular gasket sealer on both sides. Maybe I’m lucky?

I could tell this aftermarket housing is starting to warp in the center. Then snugging it up made it worse. Stay tuned.

I have fixed the chrome ones.
I used to racer tape a full sheet of 80 grit sandpaper to a granite surface plate i had (it was 11,000 lbs, lol) and sand the warp out in a circular motion. Then, an oak full sheet sanding block i made, using the surface plate again, to smooth the pump housing off. Not having access to the plate anymore, ibwould use a pane of glass with the sandpaper. Ive used that technique on holley main bodies that were warped too.
The pic is what I'm using on my 62. I dont know where it came from, or even if it is iron or aluminum. Hooked to a 26" big block cordoba radiator, with the extra fins core.

20190326_103034.jpg

Mine was so warped, I could see day light through it. I guess we keep tightening it to stop the leak but all were really doing is bending it more. There was no way sanding would have fixed mine. And with the 15lbs of pressure in the system would push out the silicon.

I like what Lionized did. I know you already ordered a new OE one but I wanted to put in another thumbs up for the billet, O-ring style. I've use them on my race cars. The Billet Specialties has a thick flange to protect against warping. I don't use any goop so no mess and no clean up. I've had them off and back on for various reasons and there are still no leaks. I'll never go back to a flat gasket style housing.

Follow up...

Member @Cranky came to the rescue and gave up one of his OE housings to a worthy cause :lowdown:

@texas69bee I tried the Permatex for water pumps and t-stat housings.
20190802_194123.jpg

You can see that I had used the Fel-Pro gasket. The cast aluminium, chrome housing had warped .030
20190802_200619.jpg

20190802_222423.jpg

Following the directions, it reminded me of the black gasket maker that I used on my aluminium valve covers. Apply sealant, install finger tight, let it set up for an hour then torque to specs. Let it cure for 24 hrs. before allowing fluid contact.
20190802_213857.jpg
20190802_214207.jpg

20190802_214937.jpg

20190802_232122.jpg

Went to a show today, all's well so far :thumbsup:
20190804_125430.jpg

Follow up...

Member @Cranky came to the rescue and gave up one of his OE housings to a worthy cause :lowdown:

@texas69bee I tried the Permatex for water pumps and t-stat housings.
View attachment 812038

You can see that I had used the Fel-Pro gasket. The cast aluminium, chrome housing had warped .030
View attachment 812039

View attachment 812040

Following the directions, it reminded me of the black gasket maker that I used on my aluminium valve covers. Apply sealant, install finger tight, let it set up for an hour then torque to specs. Let it cure for 24 hrs. before allowing fluid contact.
View attachment 812050 View attachment 812051
View attachment 812052
View attachment 812053

Went to a show today, all's well so far :thumbsup:
View attachment 812055
Glad to hear all is going well so far. I’ve had mine on for 2 yrs and no problems yet.

I take the factory housing, put fine sandpaper on a piece of glass and sand the housing by hand until everything is nice and shiny. Install with a gasket and drive on.

If you got an aluminum thermostat housing and water pump housing, just tig weld them together. Follow me for more sound automotive advice.

Unless you have an unlimited supply of H20 pump housings, not a good idea. Makes flushing system difficult and if thermostat craps out, replace everything. Just buy a billet housing and all problems are solved.

I posted that in jest. But feel free to try it.

After dealing with leaky aluminum thermostat housings, I put a cast iron one on and it worked great. The cast ones don't have a barb on the top of the fitting where the upper radiator hose goes but I've never had a problem with the hose slipping off.

Auto Transport Service
Back