• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat part number needed

I'm not seeing any notches on mine.

20220707_061741.jpg

20220707_061751.jpg

20220707_061816.jpg

20220707_061825.jpg

1658258549648.png

1658258631389.png

1658258677978.png

IMO.....The "BEST" thermostat to use is the Robertshaw design
Why Robertshaw? Because we make a hi flow pump and its unique three port construction or "balanced sleeve" design equalizes the system pressures above and below the thermostat’s moving valve. Therefore the thermostat is pressure balanced and will respond to system temperatures only. No other thermostat does this.
Other Features of a Robert Shaw Thermostat:
1) Stress-free construction. Robertshaw makes the thermostat's strut assembly from brass, not stainless steel, because brass can be bradded to the housing with heat instead of sledge hammer-like stress. This technique permits two brads per strut. Other manufacturers forcefully attach the struts to the housing with intense, metal-weakening pressure on the struts, binding each strut in only one spot.

2) The Power Pill®. This is the heart of a Robertshaw thermostat. It detects minute changes in the temperature of the coolant, and quickly activates a precision-engineered stem or piston to open and close the thermostat valve.

3) One-piece bypass poppet. With other thermostats, the bypass valve stem is welded on. The weld tends to fail under stress. To eliminate this problem, Robertshaw manufactures the entire copper cup and bypass stem from a single piece of metal.

4) Short-stroke piston. In conventional thermostats, the piston must make a large stroke to open the thermostat far enough for adequate coolant flow. But the long stroke compromises durability. Robertshaw engineers achieved a shorter stroke with a uniquely-designed flange and poppet. This design increases the longevity of the thermostat, yet still allows adequate coolant circulation.

5) Contoured strut. Making the strut assembly from brass instead of steel provides another benefit: brass, being more malleable than steel, can be precisely formed to maximize coolant flow.

6) Uniform quality. Robertshaw builds all thermostats to OEM standards -- so your replacement thermostat is identical to those used in new Fords, Chryslers, and other cars.

Ive used this same 180° F T-stat for years.....with great success. Consider trying it......
BOB RENTON

1658258603238.png

My car runs at constant ~ 180°F with the new Edelbrock 8607 180°F Thermostat @ 86°F outside temperature.
I'm happy with that. :)

View attachment 1315391
View attachment 1315395
View attachment 1315396
Why Robertshaw? Because we make a hi flow pump and its unique three port construction or "balanced sleeve" design equalizes the system pressures above and below the thermostat’s moving valve. Therefore the thermostat is pressure balanced and will respond to system temperatures only. No other thermostat does this.
1) Stress-free construction. Robertshaw makes the thermostat's strut assembly from brass, not stainless steel, because brass can be bradded to the housing with heat instead of sledge hammer-like stress. This technique permits two brads per strut. Other manufacturers forcefully attach the struts to the housing with intense, metal-weakening pressure on the struts, binding each strut in only one spot.

2) The Power Pill®. This is the heart of a Robertshaw thermostat. It detects minute changes in the temperature of the coolant, and quickly activates a precision-engineered stem or piston to open and close the thermostat valve.

3) One-piece bypass poppet. With other thermostats, the bypass valve stem is welded on. The weld tends to fail under stress. To eliminate this problem, Robertshaw manufactures the entire copper cup and bypass stem from a single piece of metal.

4) Short-stroke piston. In conventional thermostats, the piston must make a large stroke to open the thermostat far enough for adequate coolant flow. But the long stroke compromises durability. Robertshaw engineers achieved a shorter stroke with a uniquely-designed flange and poppet. This design increases the longevity of the thermostat, yet still allows adequate coolant circulation.

5) Contoured strut. Making the strut assembly from brass instead of steel provides another benefit: brass, being more malleable than steel, can be precisely formed to maximize coolant flow.

6) Uniform quality. Robertshaw builds all thermostats to OEM standards -- so your replacement thermostat is identical to those used in new Fords, Chryslers, and other cars.

Ive used this same 180° F T-stat for years.....with great success. Consider trying it......
BOB RENTON

View attachment 1315394
Thanks for the tip, i might use one of these next time.

View attachment 1315391
View attachment 1315395
View attachment 1315396

BOB RENTON

View attachment 1315394

Last year (as stated in my last post) i installed an Edelbrock 8607 180°F Thermostat.
As stated in my last post "My car runs at constant ~ 180°F @ 86°F outside temperature."

Except for when i drive faster -> 80, 90mph+ Than the temperature starts climbing higher than it should.
Since its a bone stock 1969 dodge charger r/t 440/727 car and it runs great i do not really think it needs carb or timing adjustment.
Also i flushed the block with water when replacing the water pump and it did not look rusted etc.

I plan on test running it without a thermostat and see what that does. Should this fix my issue i would be interested in trying out one of these Robertshaw ones. Which one would be the correct one for my car? There is a original mopar sticker in the engine bay stating only use 180°F Thermostat so that much i already know.

But there are a couple different versions.
Do i need the Robertshaw 330-180 then?
But it states 1979 440 engine, not 1969.
Also is flowkooler the only/official vendor?

Because it's NOT the Robertshaw balanced flow design...could be it's a DOLE, DELCO-HARRISON, or Chinese adaptation....while irs out, install the Robertshaw design 0f 180° F rating...forget what your "buddy" says about a 160°F ....it's not correct....just my opinion...
BOB RENTON
No **** Bob. Why don't you bother reading the rest of a thread before always replying to my posts incorrectly? Personally I have never run anything except a 180 stat in any of my old cars. Furthermore, the reason I posted those pics in the first place is because the op was looking for that exact stat, and I happened to have some extras. The reason? I switched over to the Robertshaw style. Also, I never once told you that a buddy of mine told me to do anything ........

Last edited:
@RJRENTON (or anyone really): Do you know which style/series Robertshaw Thermostat is right for the 440hp in my 1969 dodge charger r/t?
I know it needs to be 180°F but there are different styles/series:

Is the Robertshaw 330-180 the correct one?
(Lists 440 engine but only 1979 not 1969)

Or maybe this one?
(Lists 1969 dodge charger but not 440 only 383)

I doubt its a thermostat problem. Once its open that's it. Obviously you are pushing the engine to an extreme at those higher RPM'S. To say it has nothing to do with tuning is just ignoring one critical aspect.

I doubt its a thermostat problem. Once its open that's it. Obviously you are pushing the engine to an extreme at those higher RPM'S. To say it has nothing to do with tuning is just ignoring one critical aspect.

Well i think i really do not have to touch the carb because its the original carb not some aftermarket edelbrock etc. so why should i mess with the factory tuning, right?
Of course ignition/timing is something i might have to look at but i want to start simple with removing the thermostat.
I also noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses feel quite soft/mushy so i will replace them before touching the ignition/timing aswell.
But again the car runs great and pulls strong and in normal driving has zero thermal problems.

As far as which is the correct style Robertshaw Thermostat for the 440hp engine in my 1969 dodge charger r/t.
The Edelbrock 8607 (180°F style) that i currently run has a 63mm flange diameter: High Performance Thermostat (63mm) - 180 Deg
The Robertshaw 330 Series has a 53.98mm flange diameter: The original Robertshaw 330 series hi flow thermostats
The Robershaw 370 Series has a 63.50mm flange diameter: Robertshaw 370 Series hi flow thermostat

So that probably answers the question: I need a Robertshaw 370-180 Thermostat and you do to if you got a late 60s/early 70s 440 engine and as far as i can tell it's the same for the 383.

Well i think i really do not have to touch the carb because its the original carb not some aftermarket edelbrock etc. so why should i mess with the factory tuning, right?
Of course ignition/timing is something i might have to look at but i want to start simple with removing the thermostat.
I also noticed the upper and lower radiator hoses feel quite soft/mushy so i will replace them before touching the ignition/timing aswell.
But again the car runs great and pulls strong and in normal driving has zero thermal problems.

As far as which is the correct style Robertshaw Thermostat for the 440hp engine in my 1969 dodge charger r/t.
The Edelbrock 8607 (180°F style) that i currently run has a 63mm flange diameter: High Performance Thermostat (63mm) - 180 Deg
The Robertshaw 330 Series has a 53.98mm flange diameter: The original Robertshaw 330 series hi flow thermostats
The Robershaw 370 Series has a 63.50mm flange diameter: Robertshaw 370 Series hi flow thermostat

So that probably answers the question: I need a Robertshaw 370-180 Thermostat and you do to if you got a late 60s/early 70s 440 engine and as far as i can tell it's the same for the 383.
Ok you win.

Ok you win.

One more thing is i actually have an NOS 180°F mopar thermostat and this indeed looks like a Robertshaw Thermostat.
The Edelbrock IS way more restricted in flow so that's why i think that it really could be the problem under load...

Edit:
I'm just not sure i want to use a 50 year old thermostat so that's why i will be buying a new one.

Stant 370-180 works! Always test your thermostat before installing! I found mine on eBay.

Not the same as the T-stat shown on #23 pix, which is the balanced flow design. What you show looks like a copy of the old Dole design. I'm reasonably sure it will function, but its not the balanced flow design......JUST my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Not the same as the T-stat shown on #23 pix, which is the balanced flow design. What you show looks like a copy of the old Dole design. I'm reasonably sure it will gunction, but its not the balanced flow design......JUST my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Yes, I see the differences from post 23 but this is a substitute or the SuperStat on post 14. It is made by the same/new company, it looks very similar, and it has the same specs and is rated for high flow. An added bonus is that it comes from a country with indoor plumbing and quality standards!

Last edited:
if you measure the actual opening, the balanced flow type has a significantly larger opening. The Stant is 1 1/8", the Mopar 68 and earlier, like post #33, is about 1 7/16" Flow increases by the square of the diameter EMP/Stewart is another brand available at Summit. Bob has good information in his posts. The amount of flow should be increased if the motor is "hotter" than stock.

May not be the right part # in the link, but they have them.

Auto Transport Service
Back