• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat reading hot

Joel E.

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
1970 gtx 440 6pack new temperature gauge new sending unit. When vehicle warms up gauge goes to 230 and stays between there and 250. IR shows 205 at thermostat and 160 at bottom radiator hose. For additional information oil gauge pegs at 80 and fuel gauge won't go above 3/4 all gauges and sending units are new.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Joel

New sending units are a crapshoot unfortunately.
You can either buy another one or three (they're cheap, try to buy them from different sources) and test them, or add a resistor of the necessary value in-line with the wire.
I did the resistor trick some years ago (put it behind the dash out of sight) and it worked good but I eventually found a more accurate sender. I wanna say it was from Rock Auto but it's been awhile...good luck!

Fuel and temp are regulated through the gauge regulator. If your fuel gauge isn't showing high I would suspect the temp sender and gauge are not compatible.

I should say that I bought a new set of gauges from classic however thee gauges operated in the same fashion before I replaced them. I have replaced the thermostat sending unit but not the oil gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back