• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thinking of doing a manual trans conversion

68gtx

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
toying with the idea of swapping to a manual trans in the x , having no luck finding used stuff up here, so my options would be a kit from brewers or a 5 speed kit, which would you do? have read the 5 speed kits arent a direct bolt in, dont want to have to split the trans hump to make room for a larger trans.. anyone here have any advice or info?

Do the 5 speed kit.. You will appreciate the extra gear... The tunnel mods are not extensive at all. Been there done that...

833 trans swap

I swapped my auto trans for a 4 speed in my '68 Charger. Instead of buying a kit, I slowly purchased the parts over the last 2 years. It is less expensive . I used Ebay, Craigs list and other sources for parts. It is not that difficult, I have a list of parts I used if you are interested.

What used stuff are you looking for...do you have any of the parts at all yet?

My Keisler Tremec has 2-3 issues. The Passon 5 and the Keisler SS700 are not ready for market. Delays. If you get one in the first year, you can be a pioneer. That's no fun. I'd leave the automatic in. Good luck.

i was a little anti 5 speed in the older cars. when i got my RR it had a 5 speed conversion already in it. i instantly pulled the car apart to redo it. i planned on putting a hemi box back in but decided to give the 5 speed a shot seeing how the car was set up for it. i absolutely love it. i like to shift so i say go for it, although i've swapped my dart back and forth several times over the last few years. mainly because of broken manual trans parts...

october2012012.jpg

Sorry I was not clear. Do not buy an early Keisler TKO. It will not up shift to third at high rpm's. All other aspects are fine. I love the OD cruising. There is no upgrade or fix for my unit.

if i got a keisler it would be a new kit, so would that be free of the issues that you have? since there shifter comes out the conter of the trans hump, would the additional hump still be needed to be welded in? of can you just keep the auto trans hump.?

how much mods are needed to the stock hump, dont really wanna disect the car... i seen pictures of some installs on here that make it look like the trans is so big that it makes the trans tailshaft point down tothe ground causing low ground cleanrance

Sorry I was not clear. Do not buy an early Keisler TKO. It will not up shift to third at high rpm's. All other aspects are fine. I love the OD cruising. There is no upgrade or fix for my unit.

Here is another thought, I know Passon Performance was working on an overdrive trans. Not sure of how much is needed to install it. It depends on how you are going to be driving your car, but with mine I went with the standard 833 trans from an auto. The only cutting was in the trans hump so the shifter and shifter rods would clear. No other cutting was needed. Just a change in the trans cross member mount, no need to change the drive shaft or yokes etc. It is pretty straight forward. I did not want to hack up my car, so I went this route. I have my trans and all the parts, so somebody could convert it back.

I could use the parts list, my car came from factory with 4 speed , at some time ,money permitting I would like to change it back so I can curse with better braking, and make more orginal.

Parts list

Here is the list of parts for converting from a 727 auto to a 4 speed. Eventhough you have a Coronet, my Charger has the same drive train.

Attachments

• 4spd install 2.jpg
    4spd install 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 4spd install 1.jpg
    4spd install 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 444
I would go with the 5 speed, freeway cruising and fuel mileage would be much improved. Once my car is done and I can afford it I would like to go with the tremec t56 6 speed. Good luck

have emailed keisler a couple times now for info and price but have gotten no replies, i also emailed brewers and hurst driveline conversions., no answer from hurst either after two emails as well, brewers has been in contact with a complete qoute that even includes new carpet!

Last edited:
Out of curiousity, If you don't mind me asking , what is the cost from Brewers for a conversion ?

i think it was $5300.00 shipped , with a non consle shifter , that was $200.00 more and the shipping was $500.00 of that and of course there will be taxes and duties to enter this great country of canada!

really makes you think if a 4 gear is worth it ?

I am going the other way, someone was going to convert to 4 speed and we are going back to auto on column. I would have the used (barely) tunnel and the bracket under the dash for pedals. $200.00 for both.

i think it was $5300.00 shipped , with a non consle shifter , that was $200.00 more and the shipping was $500.00 of that and of course there will be taxes and duties to enter this great country of canada!

really makes you think if a 4 gear is worth it ?

Ship it to the border and pick it up. You get raped on shipping!!! If it's made in USA should be no duties. Just GST?.. No brokerage fee either.

I am getting my Alterk shipped there in the next few weeks.

Auto Transport Service
Back