• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of going hydraulic clutch for my 4 speed conversion

Krooser

Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
Now before you start typing about the ridickle-less costs of aftermarket conversions I'm talking about doing it at working man's prices.

Back when I was racing F#rds on my local dirt tracks I always used a juice clutch for its simplicity and avoiding having a linkage failure after a minor crash...happened often.

I used an early Toyota slave cylinder with a 60's F#rd master with a shop built bracket and flexible brake hose...cheap and effective.

Looking thru the cost involved in buying and/or collecting all the parts involved in a conversion from a slush box I guess I may give it a go.

I will use a universal pull type slave available from Speedway Motors )$50.00) and one if the 7/8" bore Wilwood masters I have in stock from my latest late model dirt car project.

Buy or fab a brake hose and I'm in bidness for under $100...way under.

Build a simple bracket to bolt to the bellhousing for the slave cylinder mount.

I have plenty of steel sheet and even some nice thick aluminum from my old days of building multicarb 6-71 blower top plates.

Stock appearing? Not a chance. But my '65 Coronet won't ever win any beauty contests...at least while I own her.

This may take a bit to come to fruition since I'm going under the knife next month for a record 3rd shoulder replacement.

Film at 11...

So you’re going to use the slave cylinder to pull the clutch fork?

That’s a smart choice, and if you can do it on the cheap it’s even better.

So you’re going to use the slave cylinder to pull the clutch fork?
Most likely use a pull instead of a push...but I have to do a bit of planning.

I have used both with good results.

Good luck with your surgery!
Thanks...this one is a bit more complex since they are removing my worn out replacement from 2010.

I'm having a nuclear stress test on my ticker today and a CT scan of my heart before surgery.

I had my left shoulder replaced in 2017. But I had a heart attack in 2020 and the prep for this surgery has been much more complex than before I got that $25,000 helicopter ride to the OR!

Me too! It's really pretty simple and I will take pix.

Thanks...this one is a bit more complex since they are removing my worn out replacement from 2010.

I'm having a nuclear stress test on my ticker today and a CT scan of my heart before surgery.

I had my left shoulder replaced in 2017. But I had a heart attack in 2020 and the prep for this surgery has been much more complex than before I got that $25,000 helicopter ride to the OR!
Take it easy after surgery and get some good rest, I wanna see the outcome of the hydraulic clutch conversion.

Take it easy after surgery and get some good rest, I wanna see the outcome of the hydraulic clutch conversion.
Six weeks without driving after they bolt me back together.

I'm having the work done Jan 8th... three weeks later I go for a visit to my surgeon then it's off to recover in Florida at my no-brother-good-in-laws house.

I will start my therapy in the Sunshine State then take a slow 3 day drive back to Wisconsin to finish my recovery.

My wife has been spending every February in Florida for the last 20+ years mooching off her relatives.

I got on the gravy train three years ago.

When I was trucking OTR I ran Florida and south Texas every week from late December to March or April. Gave me a break from winter and a chance to putter around my Peterbilt doing minor repairs and maintenance without wearing Long Johns.

I kept an eye on the weather and would sit tite if it was snowing and blowing up north.

I'd visit the wife a few times making sure she was staying out of trouble. She would fly home in March.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would say don't do it... Hydraulic clutches are soo much better.. i hope it goes well.. BTW.. how long did the last shoulder last? I got mine done 2 years ago.. the pain is constant but at least i have a working arm...
2021-06-08 10.13.48.jpg

I don't know why anyone would say don't do it... Hydraulic clutches are soo much better.. i hope it goes well.. BTW.. how long did the last shoulder last? I got mine done 2 years ago.. the pain is constant but at least i have a working arm...
View attachment 1572681
13 years...but I have been dragging my fat *** into big trucks for 51 years so I started having those screws that fasten the ball pull out if my shoulder.

The top two screws are about 1/4" out from where they started.

Until the last 6 months both shoulders have been pain free. I had originally planned on surgery in November but delayed it for two reasons. One... I didn't have enough pain to justify the operation...until that changed around mid November.

Two... My new Medicare advantage plan lowered my copay for therapy from $40 to $20 for 2024. That will save me a few hundred bucks in overall costs... More $$$ for my projects!!!

This first replacement is a different design than #2. It reversed the ball and socket locations but has proven to be a little less robust design.

When they do this new surgery the Doc will use a slide hammer to remove the stainless steel ball that was driven into my bone during the first deal.

I told him to give me some extra juice to be sure I don't wake up for that!!!

I used a master cylinder from an early '90s Dakota. I had to modify the firewall bracket and the push pin but it works quite nicely.
I got it from a pull apart.

I used a master cylinder from an early '90s Dakota. I had to modify the firewall bracket and the push pin but it works quite nicely.
I got it from a pull apart.
That's a good tip... i would LOVE to swap my car to a 5-speed at some point

Following....I'm looking to do the same with my 4 speed. Pics of the process would be really helpful.

You are doing it the right way with all the hydraulics out side of the bell housing. I have seen way too many posts about guys having a leaky or malfunctioning hydraulic TO bearings.
I thought about a hydraulic clutch and I even bought all the stuff I need to make it happen. I was going to use the Wilwood pull type slave and a Howe master. I seen pics of a mounting bracket for the pull type bolted to the side cover of the transmission.

Gus

Auto Transport Service
Back