• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

third member question

Damien B.

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
I have another question
I will be swapping my third member in the near futur (rear end is a 8 3/4 and both third member are 489 casing), the yoke on the new one is bigger than the one currently on my car. i already ordered the proper U joint to match the new thirdmember to the drive shaft but i m not sure the current C or U shapped thing that are bolted on the yoke will be compatible.
What are those thing called

U-joint straps or girdles

Thanks being french cause me to look for the translation of pieces that are pretty basic

The straps are different sizes. The bolt spacing and the curve for the cap. You will need other ones for the big yoke. Here is a rockauto page. $3.29 and $8.87

2C075FEA-88A3-4345-ACCF-ABAC84E203F0.png

another question, what are the torque spec in order to secure those straps?

My 64 service manual says 110 inch pounds. My 1966 service manual says 15 foot pounds.Don't go too tight.
1/4''x 28 bolts Fastenal torque spec is 98-123 inch pounds.

My 64 service manual says 110 inch pounds. My 1966 service manual says 15 foot pounds.Don't go too tight.
1/4''x 28 bolts Fastenal torque spec is 98-123 inch pounds.
And 110 inch/pounds is about 9 ft/lbs. So, somewhere between 9 and 15.

Auto Transport Service
Back