• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on: POR-15 epoxy, USC instead of lead(all metal) Alvin lab metal....

That must be why it works better with the "Metal Prep" product first.
That stuff eats rust and does something to the metal chemically.
I also met some of they guys who worked on POR-15 at a trade show in NJ, about 17 years ago, but the company they started was CHASSIS SAVER sold by MAGNET PAINTS, I think.
I still have the sample card from the show they brushed it on the card, and it looks great!!!!
I have only used the Chassis Saver once, but you can get it in many colors.

Last edited:
Here is a description of the Metal prep, I use:

POR-15 Metal Prep provides the best adhesion for POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating on any metal surface, including aluminum and shiny polished metal surfaces. Our simple process gently etches metal, creating an ideal anchor pattern for coatings such as POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating, while simultaneously leaving a zinc phosphate coating to insure chemical bonding of paint and steel. Avoid other preps that may leave harmful residues which prevent proper adhesion. After thoroughly degreasing your work piece, apply environmentally safe POR-15 Metal Prep to both neutralize any rust and etch any clean bare metal.
Features:
  • Easy to use – one step process
  • Coats metal with zinc phosphate
  • No harmful residues
  • Insures perfect paint adhesion
  • Is reusable
  • Provides perfect base for all paints
  • Removes surface rust in minutes
  • Improves welding conductivity

Here is the Chassis saver :

Chassis_Saver3b.jpg

I will have to try the Master Coat stuff, I really had no issues with Chassis Saver, and now that it is in many colors maybe I will check out them also.

Has anyone used J/B weld for things like this??

I have heard guys using J/B weld on heads one example being to plug holes in Jeep 4.0 head when used on a 4.2 engine.

haven't read all the replies, but after 35 years this is where i'm at .....

marine-tex over all-metal all day long......trust me on this one

I like what I am reading on the Marine-tex.
Thanks, as I have never herd of this product before.

I like what I am reading on the Marine-tex.
Thanks, as I have never herd of this product before.

all metal blows.......have a buddy who insisted on using all metal on his car, it has fucked him 3 different ways...... i was turned on to marine tex in the early 80s, I have witnessed marine tex repairs that are good after 30 years, I have always used the grey ........and 5:1 means 5:1

Last edited:
on a side note.......you only ever need one primer for auto body, find an epoxy primer that sands easily (Southern Poly is nice)......its all you ever need

on a side note.......you only ever need one primer for auto body, find an epoxy primer that sands easily (Southern Poly is nice)......its all you ever need

Somehow, very early on in the posts EPOXY PUTTY, has been misinterpreted as EPOXY PRIMER.
I never had any questions about epoxy primer, the epoxy PUTTY, is just a brand name for a putty that starts as a playdoh like putty and claims to harden like steel.
That is the stuff I wanted info on.

When I thought about it more, the ALL METAL, does say right on it aluminum filled body filler, so that statement right there would normally have turned me off. I guess I missed it.

Has anyone used J/B weld for things like this??

I have heard guys using J/B weld on heads one example being to plug holes in Jeep 4.0 head when used on a 4.2 engine.
I have used JB for many things, including filling pits on metal parts like cast iron or brackets. Also used as a filler to smooth out weld areas when I was fabricating new ac compressor stays for my ‘68 Bee. Never had any lifting, cracking, peeling etc. the craziest thing I did with it was I needed to get my truck smogged and my smog pump check valve was rotting off. I JB welded the rotted part of the check valve ( it was barely hanging on) and figured it would last long enough to get her smogged. Smoked and stunk to high heaven for 10 minutes after first start since it was an exhaust part, then it was hard as concrete. Two years later it was still holding for the next smog check! I never replaced that check valve JB has its limits but it still amazes me what it can fix.

Auto Transport Service
Back