• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thread dies

mopar 3 B

Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know of a reasonable priced supplier for odd sized taps and dies?
Am in need of an odd screw 8 with 30 thread count. Yea tried a 32 no go and the thread gauges call for a 30 thread. If there is a gauge to measure it, would think there would be a die to cut it.

You might look at Brownell’s. A firearms tool company, they’ve had odd sized taps and dies in the past.

I'm curious-- what is the threaded hole in- that moves you to consider fabricating a screw to fit?

Last edited:
I'd be awfully tempted to re-thread it to a standard size, especially being that small.

While we are waiting to hear about a conclusion to this question-----and on the topic of odd threads:)

Years ago I wanted to make my own adapters and tooling holders that would accept --Starrett dial indicator tool posts.
Starrett decided to use their own particular thread size and it took me awhile to identify it. --( .231" Dia. x 28 Threads per inch.)
I ordered (and still have) two ea. -starter and bottom taps made by TRW. My memory tells me they were $75 ea in the eighties when I bought them.
I made lots of custom post holders for friends that more than paid for the cost of the taps.

As for identifying the thread size in question in this thread.----IMO measuring the pitch (TPI) on an internal thread of that small size is tedious at best. Also knowing that it is indeed a size 8 (vs metric 4,4.5, for example) is tough to know without a screw in (go/no go)gauge. Not to mention --the threads could be damaged adding to the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe metric?
Thought of that being its an old Kawasaki industrial engine. But no, only thing that matches the thread was the 30 english. Almost wish it was metric.
Why they would put such an oddball in a carb bowl drain.
I have both english and metric dies and thread size gauges. It would start in the #8 - 32 and stop the metric was a no go.
I have considered just filling the hole and forgetting it.

Last edited:
Thought of that being its an old Kawasaki industrial engine. But no, only thing that matches the thread was the 30 english. Almost wish it was metric.
Why they would put such an oddball in a carb bowl drain.

I believe there is a type of metric "pipe" thread. I don't have access to all that info anymore. When I worked, the machine shop had all of that info.

Does the drain plug have the slightest taper to it? You might have to check with calipers to see it.

You could find a plug real close, drill and tap to fit.

http://www.womackmachine.com/engineering-toolbox/data-sheets/iso-pipe-thread-and-port-thread-sizes/

Last edited:
While we are waiting to hear about a conclusion to this question-----and on the topic of odd threads:)

Years ago I wanted to make my own adapters and tooling holders that would accept --Starrett dial indicator tool posts.
Starrett decided to use their own particular thread size and it took me awhile to identify it. --( .231" Dia. x 28 Threads per inch.)
I ordered (and still have) two ea. -starter and bottom taps made by TRW. My memory tells me they were $75 ea in the eighties when I bought them.
I made lots of custom post holders for friends that more than paid for the cost of the taps.

As for identifying the thread size in question in this thread.----IMO measuring the pitch (TPI) on an internal thread of that small size is tedious at best. Also knowing that it is indeed a size 8 (vs metric 4,4.5, for example) is tough to know without a screw in (go/no go)gauge. Not to mention --the threads could be damaged adding to the problem.
Thread is the same size as the air idle adjustment screw. In fact that is where the idle screw was found.
Was real glad that screw was there. Without it a new carb would have be next on the list.

What material is the bowl?

I've had pretty good luck with most metal (besides pot metal), just running the screw in by force to change the threads from say 10-32 to 10-24, etc.

Even better to use a tap.

I think stamped tin. Will have to stick a magnet to it..
Not really sure why it needs a drain other than being a portable jobsite compressor. Maybe it is required the carb bowl be empty for transport?

Auto Transport Service
Back