• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Adjustment Help

nutz4spd

Local time
2:20 AM
Reaction score
I have been messing with this setup all morning and can't figure it out. I can adjust the throttle cable to where the carb is closed when the pedal isn't pressed but when the pedal is to the floor the throttle is only open about half way. Conversely, when it's adjusted to open fully it doesn’t close completely when releasing the pedal. What am I missing? Is the overall cable setup too short? It's an aftermarket cable the previous owner put in so I have no clue what's supposed to be there.

20240525_124409.jpg

20240525_125231.jpg

Last edited:
Something is off in the travel. Personally, I wouldn't use the aftermarket stuff there, though they do work. I would go back to a stock cable and stand, but that's just me.

Go to about the 2 min mark in this video n watch.

I have been messing with this setup all morning and can't figure it out. I can adjust the throttle cable to where the carb is closed when the pedal isn't pressed but when the pedal is to the floor the throttle is only open about half way. Conversely, when it's adjusted to open fully it doesn’t close completely when releasing the pedal. What am I missing? It the overall cable setup too short? It's an aftermarket cable the previous owner put in so I have no clue what's supposed to be there.

View attachment 1668485

View attachment 1668486
I'm running a similar set up. Let me get you a few pictures. Also, I finally figured out that I needed to adjust the outer cable at WOT not idle...

Here's the pics
IMG_9777.jpg
IMG_9778.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you need to move up on the throttle lever. The travel is TOO short.

Yes, you need to move up on the throttle lever. The travel is TOO short.
No!!!! He needs to move down. Simple geometry. Further out you move, the longer the stroke. Please proofread before making suggestions. This would only cause more problems.

1000001186.jpg

Try moving the ball stud to one of the other two holes to increase your overall throw (close to wide open).

Tonys video explains it all very clearly. The cable type does not change the geometry. It's pivot to pin location. The aftermarket cables are nice do to extra length. You can get quite creative by just making a simple bracket to hold the cable. Notice th elack of bell cranks and ugly mounts in this sideways mounted Holley style carb application.
Doug

20210308_174433.jpg

20210308_175030.jpg

20210227_110904.jpg

With the Holley bracket if it helps......

1717553510437.png

Notice the cable pulls slightly downward, not level. The throttle cable stud rotates on an arc. If the cable is level with the throttle stud, it may not open completely.

While I was waiting for the mailman to bring my bracket from Holley, which never showed up today, I played around with the linkage some more. Figured I better do something if I'm to make any cruise-ins or shows this weekend. I made a small bracket that allowed me to put the ball peg in different positions. Needless to say no matter where I relocated it to it didn't work. Long story short I found by unbolting the bracket for the gas pedal and putting a 1/2 (roughly) piece of wood under it I gained the travel needed to go from fully closed to wot on the carb. I still want to try the bracket from Holley, but for the meantime, this setup will work.

Update: The bracket from Holley didn't work. I'm just going to stick with the raised gas pedal bracket for now. Maybe I'll mess around with it in the future.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back