• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Cable 69 GTX too Long?? Need Help...

Lineman

Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
So I bought this throttle cable bracket, seemed like a good idea. It moves the cable housing mount up and the bracket mounts better to the intake with two bolts than what was on the engine.

Only now the actual cable part needs to go way out almost to the front of the front float bowl. hence the cable housing probably should mount back further? The carb on the engine is a Proform 750 and I don't know what that thing really is? Maybe a Holly of some sort?

So will an adapter bracket move the cable attaching point far enough forward? What do you guys think?
GTX Throttle Cable.jpg

As always thanks for the help...

Jay

I have had good results using Lokar cut to fit cables. I have a car that that I used 2 similar factory throttle cables, 1 inch difference in length, and could not get either to work with a Holley 4150/4160 carb. I have a Holley 20-112 bracket with a Lokar Universal cut-to-fit throttle cable and OEM kickdown cable. The Lokar cable was the ticket to fixing our problem.

Now here is a bracket that may work for you:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15234/10002/-1

Good luck.

Yes it looks like you already have the Lokar kickdown cable...you can get their throttle cable kit, in which the bracket is just like your kickdown bracket but with provisions for both cables. It will replace the kickdown bracket you have now and you can lose the big tall throttle bracket. Or, check mancini's for a shorter factory-style cable and you can keep all your existing brackets. Cost should be close either way. Personally I couldn't make the tall throttle bracket setup work either so I junked it and just used the lokar. Works good and looks MUCH cleaner...

Yes it looks like you already have the Lokar kickdown cable...you can get their throttle cable kit, in which the bracket is just like your kickdown bracket but with provisions for both cables. It will replace the kickdown bracket you have now and you can lose the big tall throttle bracket. Or, check mancini's for a shorter factory-style cable and you can keep all your existing brackets. Cost should be close either way. Personally I couldn't make the tall throttle bracket setup work either so I junked it and just used the lokar. Works good and looks MUCH cleaner...

Thanks, for now I put the factory rig back on with a spacer under it to raise it up. Really not sure the throttle is even opening up all the way as I was by myself when I did it but at least I am driving again. I think I will take your advice, sorting out these little things wind up driving me nuts... Not to mention the big things take way longer than they used to.. The pinion snubber came about a week ago for it, now I cant find it. Been looking for it for the last two days.. Where the hell things get to is beyond me??

The pinion snubber came about a week ago for it, now I cant find it. Been looking for it for the last two days.. Where the hell things get to is beyond me??

Funny. I have had that issue, too. Since we've been moving around, I decided all of my Super Bee parts go in one place...the car. I rounded up all the parts and put them in the trunk. Anything new shows up, in the trunk. Now where did I put that key?

Funny. I have had that issue, too. Since we've been moving around, I decided all of my Super Bee parts go in one place...the car. I rounded up all the parts and put them in the trunk. Anything new shows up, in the trunk. Now where did I put that key?

So my wife found it this morning, in the Summit box with some other I ordered. I swore it came in a separate box and I put I some place. So I had been looking for a box that didn't exist. At least I didn't go around saying I heard it talking to me or I had a conversation with it.

Back to that bracket, I don't think the kickdown cable on the car is a actual Lockar? I think I found a picture of the bracket you are talking about will allow me to mount the stock throttle cable but can't find it for sale.

If you have access to a welder, I would cut the cable hold down off and move it to the rear and weld it up in the correct spot.

My problem was the opposite of yours (69 GTX as well), my cable was too short....and it broke during break-in. I ordered the Mancini throttle cable. The length was good but the cable ferrule and cable sleeve were too long and prevented WOT. I had to cut an inch off of both so the cable would have full throw. Needless to say I was pissed about having to modify an $80 cable that was sold as direct fit for my application.

I saw that but I was looking for something that more like the original but this may be better.

Thanks I ordered it, hell try anything once. Well almost... Just doesn't seem right if I don't go a day a buy a car part...

Yeah, I have a bunch of $60 parts that didn't quite work. One day I'll have a sale on "Almost New - Only Tried Once" parts.

If you have access to a welder, I would cut the cable hold down off and move it to the rear and weld it up in the correct spot.

My problem was the opposite of yours (69 GTX as well), my cable was too short....and it broke during break-in. I ordered the Mancini throttle cable. The length was good but the cable ferrule and cable sleeve were too long and prevented WOT. I had to cut an inch off of both so the cable would have full throw. Needless to say I was pissed about having to modify an $80 cable that was sold as direct fit for my application.
I had the same issue with the cable I got from Mancini.

So I bought this throttle cable bracket, seemed like a good idea. It moves the cable housing mount up and the bracket mounts better to the intake with two bolts than what was on the engine.

Only now the actual cable part needs to go way out almost to the front of the front float bowl. hence the cable housing probably should mount back further? The carb on the engine is a Proform 750 and I don't know what that thing really is? Maybe a Holly of some sort?

So will an adapter bracket move the cable attaching point far enough forward? What do you guys think? View attachment 621595

As always thanks for the help...

Jay
You would probably have been better off with the adjustable height bracket : http://arengineering.com/products/throttle-bracket-kit-440/ The throttle lever extension would be a good idea. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-7/overview/ Your Carb pictured is a Holley with the choke tower cut off and a Proform front bowl added.

Auto Transport Service
Back