• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle cable too short for RB swap from 318 Poly

Frustration

Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
throttle cable too short.JPG
I've just started viewing this site. Love it, and especially this section. I am working on a '64 Fury Convertible that originally was powered by a 318 Poly motor. I purchased Schumacher engine swap mounts to mount the 440 RB motor that's currently installed. The engine is almost ready to fire for the first time. I am running an Edelbrock CH4B manifold and Holley Carb (850 now, will change to 750 once running). My issue is the original throttle cable is about (see photo) that much too short. Where can I purchase an original style cable to fit this set up? Do I need one for a big block car? I do not want to aftermarket if at all possible. I have used Lokar in the past with good luck, but I want this one to look OE. Thanks View attachment 371230 View attachment 371230

View attachment 371231 I've just started viewing this site. Love it, and especially this section. I am working on a '64 Fury Convertible that originally was powered by a 318 Poly motor. I purchased Schumacher engine swap mounts to mount the 440 RB motor that's currently installed. The engine is almost ready to fire for the first time. I am running an Edelbrock CH4B manifold and Holley Carb (850 now, will change to 750 once running). My issue is the original throttle cable is about (see photo) that much too short. Where can I purchase an original style cable to fit this set up? Do I need one for a big block car? I do not want to aftermarket if at all possible. I have used Lokar in the past with good luck, but I want this one to look OE. Thanks View attachment 371230 View attachment 371230
Photo with stock hood installed.JPG

That's a beautiful car! I suggest you just find out how long the throttle cable needs to be and find one online that is the correct length (or just slightly longer). It will bolt up & look "stock". If it is way too long, it might bind up. One key I believe is how the hole in your firewall is shaped where the cable goes through (some square/some round/others?)

Also, you "might" be able to scoot the metal end of the throttle cable (carb side) a little closer to your carbs. It looks a little funny, but I've done it and it works.

+1 for "beeper". Just measured my oe cable and its 21" overall length with a round mount hole for firewall(course this '68 model)

Wow
Very nice car!
Good luck with this issue
Keep us posted
I know, it can be frustrating!

In a pinch I've made a small extension to get to driveable till I got the right one. P.S. The slant six cable is longer.

Thanks for the compliment. It's coming along. Started as a $200 piece of scrap...headed to the yard. Saved it even though I didn't want a 'vert, nor a project... I got both. Hopefully running by Spring. Thanks for the heads up on the /6 cable.
IMG_0219Fury2.jpg

Classic Ind. has some listed for universal fit, but sound kinda long.

Holley sells a linkage bracket that bolts on the side of the carb shaft lever that moves the pivot rearward to meet up with the cable. It's a mopar specific piece sold by Holley. Jegs or summit should have it listed under carb accessories. Don't know how to add a link to it.

Last edited:
Summit Racing part# HLY-20-7 Holley part# 20-7 Check that out.

Or...you can fab up an extension plate to go on your cable housing clamp...extending the distance the cable housing reaches to the carb. This is what I did when switching from 2bbl to 4 bbl on my poly. Used some metal stock I had laying around.

Kramer Automotive sell throttle cables with the proper clip for inside car. I bought a 2" longer for my 65 dodge with a cross ram.

Or...you can fab up an extension plate to go on your cable housing clamp...extending the distance the cable housing reaches to the carb. This is what I did when switching from 2bbl to 4 bbl on my poly. Used some metal stock I had laying around.
That's a good idea. I may give this a try first. Thank you. Tom

Pictured is aforementioned Holley 20-7 throttle cable adapter, it's about $10. Also the throttle cable mounting bracket is a Mancini piece they make specifically for high rise manifolds. Pictured is a 69 B Body 383
20161105_163016.jpg
RR, but hope it helps.

Pictured is aforementioned Holley 20-7 throttle cable adapter, it's about $10. Also the throttle cable mounting bracket is a Mancini piece they make specifically for high rise manifolds. Pictured is a 69 B Body 383 View attachment 371426 RR, but hope it helps.
Thank you for this. I just ordered one.

Auto Transport Service
Back