• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throwout bearing shot in 4 months, 2K miles

74 Bluerunner

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Any ideas on this one..besides a defective part from O'Reiley's?
Replaced clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing about 2,500 miles.. took a 400 mile round trip and on the way back, throwout bearing wining..

When I bought car last August, clutch was cracking and wined a bit. had it replaced and has done well..for a stock clutch... any ideas that would cause a premature failure.. do not get on it.. I do wind it up through the gears some but I don't do burn outs..

74 Roadrunner small block K frame, 383, A 833 4 speed, 3.23 limited slip differential..

had it done at a shop when I first bought it. I was a newbie. I do not think they checked the pilot bushing, or resurfaced the flywheel either. when I took it back yesterday, the shop really put me on the back burner and told me to come back next week.. I do not think I am a clutch rider. any suggestions on a heavy duty throwout bearing.. I hear Hays has a self allighning bearing... any thoughts..

sounds like you need to find another shop or get your coveralls on and get busy learning about 4 speeds and clutches. Best thing to do IMO learn for yourself, get your references together and just go for it. Plenty of help/advice on here to guide you on your way.

Auto Transport Service
Back