• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time slips from Duct Tape Drags

Paul_G

Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
The weekend was great, except for getting rained out both days. Friday night was a complete rain out, no racing. Saturday was good till about 5 PM, then rain shut it down for the night, no racing on Sunday. I am car 30.

The car;
73 Charger Rallye, 255/60-15 Cooper street tires all around, full body, full interior, full power with A/C.
323:1 sure grip, stock 4 speed with tired Mcleod clutch.
Fresh RB 505 440 source stroker kit, around 10.7:1 compression,
TF240 heads,
Comp roller cam 234/240@50 .542/.539 lift 112 LSA,
Holley based 950 DP,
Eddy Performer RPM dual plane,
1 3/4" tubes old set of headers, header extensions with turn downs.

I got 4 runs in on Saturday. First run I did not get a time slip. The time slip shack was flooded from the rains, had to drive along the track return road to a guy standing down there. I did not know that. It was a terrible run anyway. I had the street tires on the car and spun first gear. Anything more than half pedal would spin the tires. So I went back to the pits and switched to the slicks, 10"x26" slicks.

Slip #1, this was the best run of the day. Ran a 12.89 @ 112.05 MPH. AND, I forgot to turn the A/C off during this run. Did a short 1st gear burn out, not my tires and wanted to be easy on the clutch. Let the clutch out just off idle then rolled on the gas. Minimal tire spin. After this run I went and put the Torco octane booster in the tank, and added a couple gallons of gas to it. Moved the FBO timing plate from the 12 slot to the 14 slot. Timing was at 18° base with 12° of mech advance for a total of 30°. Changing the FBO plate to the 14 slot should have moved the total to 32°.

Slip #2, It was 1:30 in the afternoon now and hotter. 13.099 @ 112.57. Lost a .10th but picked up .5 MPH. Is that from the additional 2° of timing or just an anomaly? So I got back in line to back it up.

Slip #3, 2 o'clock now, 13.373 @ 112.36.

DTD-2022-Time-slips-10032022-064443]
DTD-2022-Time-slips-10032022-064443.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Nice. Good for about a 11.90 in a well setup car.

Since your mph are so close I would say the power didn’t change much, ET difference is most likely due to how you are rolling on the power

Since your mph are so close I would say the power didn’t change much, ET difference is most likely due to how you are rolling on the power
Thats what I am thinking. I am going to put it back to 30° total. Plugs looked good and no signs of detonation on our 91 octane pump gas.

The mph is very consistent, and a good indicator of horsepower when combined with all-up weight.
There is LOTS more in it, if the short times can be improved. Mph is off a bit at the eighth, but the 660 e.t. could be a full second plus better.

Here is the weather a Tucson Dragway Oct 02 2:00 pm. The track itself has an elevation of 3074ft. At sea level it looks like 118mph+ to me. At 4300lbs in that air that's over 500hp. Maybe as high as 550.
Doug
  • 86 deg F
  • 28%
  • 26.69 Hg
  • 49 deg F
  • SE 4 mph
  • 83.83 %
  • 5915 ft.

Don’t use the advance plate to change total timing. Actually total it out where you want it. Most big blocks with aftermarket heads such as trickflows seem to work good around 35. I can tell you 30 isn’t anywhere near max power. Looks like lots of potential there if you can get it harnessed.

Don’t use the advance plate to change total timing. Actually total it out where you want it. Most big blocks with aftermarket heads such as trickflows seem to work good around 35. I can tell you 30 isn’t anywhere near max power. Looks like lots of potential there if you can get it harnessed.
The engine likes being at 18° base, fires right off, good throttle response. After I made the timing adjustment I went to check it with a timing light but could not see the marks in bright daylight. Got to play with that at home now.

Here is the weather a Tucson Dragway Oct 02 2:00 pm. The track itself has an elevation of 3074ft. At sea level it looks like 118mph+ to me. At 4300lbs in that air that's over 500hp. Maybe as high as 550.
Doug
  • 86 deg F
  • 28%
  • 26.69 Hg
  • 49 deg F
  • SE 4 mph
  • 83.83 %
  • 5915 ft.
Yep. I posted about the same on his other thread. 6000 ft, probably 118-119mph at standard conditions.

Last edited:
THIS ^^^^^^^^ , most BBM I have seen like 20 to 26 initial , mine is at 26 initial 36 total ,BUT I have EFI & crank timing retard.

Back at a computer now.

Loking at your time slips, and track weather data, cottecting youre mph to standard conditions, gives a mph range of 118 to 120. If you use 119 mph, and 4300 lbs (did you actually weigh it at the track?) Various hp calculators put you between 540 and 560 corrected net flywheel hp

Back at a computer now.

Loking at your time slips, and track weather data, cottecting youre mph to standard conditions, gives a mph range of 118 to 120. If you use 119 mph, and 4300 lbs (did you actually weigh it at the track?) Various hp calculators put you between 540 and 560 corrected net flywheel hp
I did not weight this car. My 62 was on a scale it weight 3990. It was an iron headed small block. This is a big block So with me in it I estimated 4300.

You had a 62 Mopar small block that weighed 3990? How many dead guys did you have in the trunk, five?
Or was it a new yorker?

Lol, 72 Charger small block, but yes it weighed right at 4000" without driver.

Well guys my street racing days started when my factory warrranty ran out a friend said you should start racing thats when he said let me show how to shift that 4 speed !. I raced on the street for about 2 years because i had a lot of close calls with cops almost got my car impounded from then on i decided to take it to the track i was living in maryland in the 70s so i started bracket racing which was somewhat new it took me and my bird almost a year to finally master my 4 speed at Captiol raceway and 75- 80 drag-a-way' raced from 1970 to 1978 almost every weekend and the rest is history. I was the last of 4speed guys everybody else went to using automatic.:thumbsup:

car.jpg

screen saver.jpg

That’s cool what engine and times were you running?

Ignore initial. Install some #925B Mr. Gasket lightweight springs and put it at 34-36° total mechanical advance.

Auto Transport Service
Back