• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

Well gang. Look what I dug out of the archives. This old thread. It’s been buried a few years too. This old thread was a FBBO joint effort in getting both me and this old Plymouth down the track, thanks again to all that had a hand in it.

So it’s time to hit the track again, the first time out of the garage this year and tomorrow I’m headed about 300 miles west. My local track isn’t up and running yet due to some delays in pre-season upgrades and the year is slipping away so here we are.
Was expecting Wookie to maybe show up this weekend but he’s out now, and Remcharger, well Rem, you coming racing?

Anyways.
The off-season changes were a different RB block due to a crack in #2 main web (it pays to freshen). I was able to lose 102 lbs in the off-season but added 20 lbs back on with a partial hard blok fill and billet steel main caps in lieu of the aluminum caps.
So lots of changes and probably some bugs to work through. We’ll see how it goes..

Starting over fresh and clean. A 16X3” air filter this year. Shorter due to a new scoop. The rest of the package remains the same.
View attachment 1667619

Liking the looks of the new 3” scoop.
View attachment 1667621

On with a set of lightweight Strange rear disc brakes and off with 28lbs just like that.
View attachment 1667620

View attachment 1667670

hoping for the best!
great looking car !! is that large pushbutton sticking out from the dash the electric shift solenoid button ?

Any updates? :popcorn2:
Update.
Day 1. Opening day. A very late start to the day, guess opening day at the track or whatever. Delays, rain and then rain out.
Day 2. Finish up day 1’s race and then decide if there will be a day 2 race, pending rain. Forecast said rain by noon and many chose to not stick around, me being one.
Looking forward to opening day at your track REM.

Last edited:
Well gang. Look what I dug out of the archives. This old thread. It’s been buried a few years too. This old thread was a FBBO joint effort in getting both me and this old Plymouth down the track, thanks again to all that had a hand in it.

So it’s time to hit the track again, the first time out of the garage this year and tomorrow I’m headed about 300 miles west. My local track isn’t up and running yet due to some delays in pre-season upgrades and the year is slipping away so here we are.
Was expecting Wookie to maybe show up this weekend but he’s out now, and Remcharger, well Rem, you coming racing?

Anyways.
The off-season changes were a different RB block due to a crack in #2 main web (it pays to freshen). I was able to lose 102 lbs in the off-season but added 20 lbs back on with a partial hard blok fill and billet steel main caps in lieu of the aluminum caps.
So lots of changes and probably some bugs to work through. We’ll see how it goes..

Starting over fresh and clean. A 16X3” air filter this year. Shorter due to a new scoop. The rest of the package remains the same.
View attachment 1667619

Liking the looks of the new 3” scoop.
View attachment 1667621

On with a set of lightweight Strange rear disc brakes and off with 28lbs just like that.
View attachment 1667620

View attachment 1667670

hoping for the best!
any signs of something wrong with the cracked block while it was running ?
always wondered what it might act like ...

I hear there maybe transmission troubles.. :popcorn2:
On day one , first test pass, spun hard on the leave. The new electric shift grabbed second great, then it pounded the lever to third but the trans stayed in second. Then the throttle pedal went to the floor.. what the hell. I coasted to the end of the track and onto the return road and there I sat.
Well the accelerator cable slipped on the bracket. - funny thing, that was untouched from last year. Wedged that into place and headed back to the pits. Got the car up on stands and after getting the headers cooled down so I wouldn’t fry I found the lever on the trans was able to move, which messed up the third gear shift. The next couple hours was spent under the car, tightening, adjusting and fighting with that damn blanket. Obviously yours truly has to take responsibility for that lever not being tight enough and thank goodness for a super short 7/16” wrench that I was able to borrow. Mine was at home… I have a new appreciation for hate with the TTI / trans blanket combo when a guy has to work on the shift lever and cable adjustment.
Just got that finished, checked, and back down on the ground in time to duck in from the rain. I beat the rain by about 2 minutes. Also during that time I missed test hit #2. By the time the track dried it was probably about 7PM and straight into eliminations. Unsure of what to dial I picked a number. I messed up the light. I blew the tires off but the car ran great, shifted fine and ran a 10.31 on my 10.30 dial. Fellow racers say that this track is at least 2/10ths slower than my local track so I threw on a 10.30. 4500 DA. Day 2 never did happen. The good thing is that the car made a great pass and ready to rock now.

And. I weighed the car and less me, with 6 gallons of fuel it’s 3160 Lbs. That calculates right to what I expected, after removing the 80 lbs over last winter
Looking forward to my local track home opener in a few weeks. So as shitty as the weekend sounds it was still actually a pretty good weekend.

Last edited:
any signs of something wrong with the cracked block while it was running ?
always wondered what it might act like ...
I had no signs at all. The last race day the car was running into the 9’s, as fast as it ever was, no signs. After the crank was out and main bearings removed and while cleaning the saddle the crack was obvious. I think that area can be seen by removing the pan. I believe that is always the web that cracks? #2 main and on the right side.

Was the spin track prep? Or could shock adjustment help?
Doug

Was the spin track prep? Or could shock adjustment help?
Doug
track issues. This was the home opener and I understand the track had been completely stripped prior to. Lots had traction issues. I’m expecting to have to make some adjustments because of the weight changes.
1.45 60’ front tires never left the track. I also have zero rear weight in the car and did loose 28 lbs from the rear brake change. Fresh motor felt strong, should work well. Shifts were set at 6100/6300
Doug do you run 2 batteries?

On day one , first test pass, spun hard on the leave. The new electric shift grabbed second great, then it pounded the lever to third but the trans stayed in second. Then the throttle pedal went to the floor.. what the hell. I coasted to the end of the track and onto the return road and there I sat.
Well the accelerator cable slipped on the bracket. - funny thing, that was untouched from last year. Wedged that into place and headed back to the pits. Got the car up on stands and after getting the headers cooled down so I wouldn’t fry I found the lever on the trans was able to move, which messed up the third gear shift. The next couple hours was spent under the car, tightening, adjusting and fighting with that damn blanket. Obviously yours truly has to take responsibility for that lever not being tight enough and thank goodness for a super short 7/16” wrench that I was able to borrow. Mine was at home… I have a new appreciation for hate with the TTI / trans blanket combo when a guy has to work on the shift lever and cable adjustment.
Just got that finished, checked, and back down on the ground in time to duck in from the rain. I beat the rain by about 2 minutes. Also during that time I missed test hit #2. By the time the track dried it was probably about 7PM and straight into eliminations. Unsure of what to dial I picked a number. I messed up the light. I blew the tires off but the car ran great, shifted fine and ran a 10.31 on my 10.30 dial. Fellow racers say that this track is at least 2/10ths slower than my local track so I threw on a 10.30. 4500 DA. Day 2 never did happen. The good thing is that the car made a great pass and ready to rock now.

And. I weighed the car and less me, with 6 gallons of fuel it’s 3160 Lbs. That calculates right to what I expected, after removing the 80 lbs over last winter
Looking forward to my local track home opener in a few weeks. So as shitty as the weekend sounds it was still actually a pretty good weekend.
At least you had a good chance of finding bugs, and squashing them. Not too sure what to expect as far as traction on our new surface.. since my car leaves like a super- slug, I won't have the same problems :D

Looks like the Bad Influence had a good day, Runnered up. Not sure if the track is slow, he set a PB at 9.90s 137
IMG_20240527_111029.jpg

That’s great for him! He’s got that Challenger running strong! If he’s good only for 10.00 he’s gonna have to take some power out back home. Apparently the rain stayed away for day 2 also. Oh well, the full pass I did make was enough for me to feel things out. And yes, traction becomes more of a problem the quicker you go.

Sounds like they're starting on grinding the track tomorrow!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

At least you had a good chance of finding bugs, and squashing them. Not too sure what to expect as far as traction on our new surface.. since my car leaves like a super- slug, I won't have the same problems :D

Looks like the Bad Influence had a good day, Runnered up. Not sure if the track is slow, he set a PB at 9.90s 137
View attachment 1669681

Auto Transport Service
Back