• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips & Must-Sees on my Roadtrip

On the way down you can stay at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO if you're feeling brave.

Stanely2.jpg
Stanley.jpg
stanley-hotel-hdr.jpg
You DO know it's The Shining Hotel.

Be aware that the US is quite large. It take a lot of time to drive the western US and there is a lot of empty space between stuff to see. Montana is quite empty of anything but grass and sky once you cross the Rockies. Some of recommendation I read above take you way off the path of a Seattle-Montana-Portland route, so be sure to sure to scrutinize detours off your route carefully. Figure on covering roughly 60 miles per hour of driving (depending on your speeding and stopping habits).

Post #18 by Black 68 R/T gives some very good tips! I would only add that the ferry system on Puget Sound in Seattle is experiencing a lot of delays right now due to boats out of service. It will not be resolved before you arrive, so check with WSDOT (Washington State Dept of Transportation) before you make any plans to use the ferry system. Each State generally has a website with travel information that you can look at ahead of your travel.

Given your route, I'll second the motions to see Glacier Park, Yellowstone, and come back down the Columbia River Gorge (OR I-84 or WA 14)) into Portland. Wildcat Auto Wrecking is a Mopar-only car and parts yard near Portland. - one of the few left. In Seattle, the Space Needle and the Glass Museum at the base of it are top attractions. There is an observation deck on the tallest tower in Seattle that is quite a view on a (rare) clear day (Columbia Center, 701 5th Ave).

Enjoy!

I notice people from Europe really enjoy attending small-town fairs and parades. Make sure you go to a rodeo.

A little late in the year to catch a tornado. In Oklahoma you see those tornado chasing vehicles with tourists.

Be aware that the US is quite large. It take a lot of time to drive the western US and there is a lot of empty space between stuff to see. Montana is quite empty of anything but grass and sky once you cross the Rockies. Some of recommendation I read above take you way off the path of a Seattle-Montana-Portland route, so be sure to sure to scrutinize detours off your route carefully. Figure on covering roughly 60 miles per hour of driving (depending on your speeding and stopping habits).

Post #18 by Black 68 R/T gives some very good tips! I would only add that the ferry system on Puget Sound in Seattle is experiencing a lot of delays right now due to boats out of service. It will not be resolved before you arrive, so check with WSDOT (Washington State Dept of Transportation) before you make any plans to use the ferry system. Each State generally has a website with travel information that you can look at ahead of your travel.

Given your route, I'll second the motions to see Glacier Park, Yellowstone, and come back down the Columbia River Gorge (OR I-84 or WA 14)) into Portland. Wildcat Auto Wrecking is a Mopar-only car and parts yard near Portland. - one of the few left. In Seattle, the Space Needle and the Glass Museum at the base of it are top attractions. There is an observation deck on the tallest tower in Seattle that is quite a view on a (rare) clear day (Columbia Center, 701 5th Ave).

Enjoy!
Wasn’t aware the ferry system is having issues. Shouldn’t be surprised I guess lol.

Could always save it for the last part of the trip, go around Puget Sound (add lots of extra driving time) or skip it.

I also forgot to mention all the volcanoes that are right here in the cascade range of Washington. Mt St Helen’s and Rainer being the two most well known. Traveling down the gorge on the Washington side will give you great views of Mt Hood in Oregon. The north cascades highway also has one, Mt Baker??? I think.

I am sure I lost a few posts here but I keep track of every single one so far! You guys are great. I already thank you a lot for all your comments!!

Ok, I see you are headed through Spokane into Montana (big state) and south from there and then want to go back through Portland if I read that correctly. If you are looking for natural scenic areas(didn’t say), I would suggest heading to Spokane as you wrote. Then the west side of Glacier National park has accommodations. I just checked, the Going to the Sun road is open there. I would then head south to Moab Utah, lots of things to see there. Then going back to Portland area is not really that far. I would also say you need to see the coastal Highway.
@wahya Great!! I've read a lot about the Going to the Sun road. I will drive this route!
Tried to pm you, your inbox is full. Most of our travels were done on non Interstate Highways. Got to see more, but we had time.

To slepr1. Doesn’t sound like you got to Murdo SD car museum, Black Hills, Reptile Gardens,Custer State Park, Deadwood or The Battle of the Little Big Horn site.
@440 4 speed inbox is now cleared!
I notice people from Europe really enjoy attending small-town fairs and parades. Make sure you go to a rodeo.
@SteveSS totally! Never been to a rodeo, would really like to attend one!

@El.Padrino if you go to Glacier National Park, be aware that they are now making reservations for each road for a specific day. You have to get them weeks in advance or log onto their system one day in advance to try and get one of the 400 or so that they release for the next day. We found out about this on our way there, my wife logged on at the appointed hour and - they sold out in minutes, and we were unable to get one. Then we found out from park personnel that you can enter the park without it before 6:30 AM so we were able to see the park. I have a lifetime senior national park pass so we didn't have to mess with that but if you don't, you might have to buy a 3 day pass the day before because the ticket booths don't open until 6:30 and then you need the road reservation. It's not a great system if you can't plan way ahead of your visit.

If you return to Portland via 14 or 84, the choice is easy. If you want to make time, take 84. 4 lane highway along the river with views and usually lots of truck traffic. If you're not in a hurry take 14. 2 lane highway with better views, that goes through some small towns, past Maryhill winery and a Stonehenge replica, and past Beacon Rock, an 848 foot tall monolith with a 3/4 mile hiking trail to the top. There are a couple bridges along the way if you decide to switch sides. Much more scenic than 84.

According to their website, the reservation thing ended on September 10th.

Hi fellow FBBO-Members!

I am doing the last steps and adjustments on my fully restored and stroked '68 Coronet before I leave my country for a journey to the US.

My starting point is Seattle, Wa arriving this coming weekend. After that heading towards Spokane through Idaho to Montana down south an back through Oregon (Portland)

Can you give me some recommendations on what to see on this route, maybe even Mopar related stuff (museums, shows, events, junkyards, vintage Chrysler/car stuff or shops…)?

I would highly appreciate your tips!

Really looking forward to this trip as I haven't been around in this part of the country so far.
I guess my question is how long do you have?

We planned to pick up the 300C near Portland and drive it home to California. Plans changed. Anyway, instead of driving on the boring I-5 we planned to go east along the Columbia (84 or 30) towards Pendleton then south to Crater Lake. From there planned 395 along the Eastern Sierra (Northern, or Cascades - whatever they are there then south into Reno/Carson. Then over Carson Pass 88 to San Jose. Still plan to do that trip. Safe travel. It’s the journey, not the destination.

E7B973B5-6D8C-4773-93E2-8CB74EAA525C.png

7F183E52-5D45-4796-B62E-C7261F321B29.jpeg

Do your research on Ferries. After watching some youtubes, not sure I wanted to take our new car on them. Weather can suck and be wet A LOT in that part of the Country.

We planned to pick up the 300C near Portland and drive it home to California. Plans changed. Anyway, instead of driving on the boring I-5 we planned to go east along the Columbia (84 or 30) towards Pendleton then south to Crater Lake. From there planned 395 along the Eastern Sierra (Northern, or Cascades - whatever they are there then south into Reno/Carson. Then over Carson Pass 88 to San Jose. Still plan to do that trip. Safe travel. It’s the journey, not the destination.

View attachment 1528637

View attachment 1528638
Check road conditions, one of the WA state passes got snow this week. Taking that route off I-84 will run you up to some high elevations in the vicinity of Mt Hood. Also check for road work on 97 between Bend and Crater lake.

If you want information in the Spokane area contact [email protected]. He can tell you about parts places, sights to see etc.
If you like history, the Grand Coulee Dam has a very good night show about the Colorado River. Don’t know if it is open this time of the year.
Just thought, Wildcat Auto Wrecking is out that way.
We drove from Bellingham across to Winthrop, quaint western town. June 26th 1972 we drove the Highway to the Sun following snow plows. Watertown Parks are there, along with Glacier.
On I-84 going east from Portland there’s a small town of Bingen. There’s a guy that has a shop with an extensive Porsche collection. You’ll have to stop and ask the locals the exact location but it’s not too far off the freeway.

Enjoy!
Don’t forget the LeMay museum

A good thing to check before venturing into eastern WA and beyond is the pass conditions. Having lived up the for over 40 years winters snows can come early. One of the WA passes got snow this week. I’ve noticed that past few years the early snows have been hitting as early as the last part of September.

If you can make it to Colorado Springs you can hang out here for a few days. Too much to list. BTW the mountains I look at all got snow-capped last week.
We did that this time last year. Pikes Peak was interesting.

What about the Brothers car collection?

Auto Transport Service
Back