• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two thousand plus mile road trip in my '69 Road Runner to get it home!

69roadrunner>>>

Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
I just got back Sunday from driving my new '69 RR from Spokane, WA to Broken Arrow, OK. My father built it himself from just a shell, and the 440 727 8 3/4 set up is super top shelf, with the best of the best forged parts, porting, aluminum, and cool designs involved. I traded him my 70 Dart and some money for it, but I totally came out blessed by him on it.

I took a few southern swoops to avoid the mountains as much as possible since its winter. I went from Spokane, WA south through the corner of Oregon, through part of Utah, all the way through Wyoming, all the way from north Colorado to south, through the corner of New Mexico, through the panhandle of Oklahoma, back to my Green Country home!

There was a wind storm in Wyoming, snow on either side of the road in Oregon, hundreds of antelope 3 feet off the road in New Mexico, and a freezing fog storm coming into Oklahoma panhandle. I had tons of gawkers and everywhere, and every time I stopped for gas people asked to buy the car, give me compliments on my car, or to tell me stories about old cars. The trip was pretty grueling, with my back hurting and all, and trying to avoid damaging my car or letting others damage it, but in the end I got her home safely (besides several chips in the paint from the wind storm).

I am sure I will look back fondly on this trip in the future seeing it as more rosey than it was. I am so happy I got my car here! She needs to be finished cosmetically and dyno tuned, and some other adjustments made... Praise the Lord for His mercy :)

IMG_20180203_175736000.jpg View attachment 569707 View attachment 569708 View attachment 569709 IMG_20180203_165646484.jpg IMG_20180204_152452861.jpg x6.PNG x4.PNG x5.PNG View attachment 569719 x3.PNG x1.PNG x7.PNG x8.PNG

Last edited:
It does sound like something you will look back on and enjoy the memories. Broken Arrow is good country. I spent a bunch o time working for my uncle around Okmulgee and Glenpool when I was very young.

The story Makes me want to get in the old dodge and head out!
envy time here!

Do you remember where that 4th pic was taken? I gotta drive that road. Any engine temp issues? What was the highest elevation? What kind of gears. I plan highway 50 in April through Nevada and Utah. Give some route numbers too if you can remember them.

Do you remember where that 4th pic was taken? I gotta drive that road. Any engine temp issues? What was the highest elevation? What kind of gears. I plan highway 50 in April through Nevada and Utah. Give some route numbers too if you can remember them.
I'll hafta check on some of that, but that 4th pic was just after I got into Wyoming from Salt Lake, Utah... SW Wyoming...

My car has 323 gears in the rear, and she stayed on exactly perfect temp the entire time... I believe i was at 7,000 ft at one point...

The great basin divide is 6900.
I guess that's the correct term.
There are two continental divides in Wyoming.
Who knew?
I stopped and took one picture drove some and there it was again.
Been there done that in my A body daily 15 years ago.
East to west and back.
I was racing the clock (work) and only took a few pictures though.

The great basin divide is 6900.
I guess that's the correct term.
There are two continental divides in Wyoming.
Who knew?
I stopped and took one picture drove some and there it was again.
Been there done that in my A body daily 15 years ago.
East to west and back.
I was racing the clock (work) and only took a few pictures though.
I remember that too with the 2 signs, had forgotten. Went West in late July 1991 in the 69 Sport Satellite Allentown to San Jose. Had only my Dad, Kirby, and microwave. Fried a wheel bearing in Laramie and got it fixed at a Conoco Station. Took all of my travelers checks. Remember those? Didn't take 1 picture. 10 mile hill into Ogden was fun. 10"drums and loose steering. Wyoming had the scariest weather.

Sounds like a great trip minus the back aches, glad it went well.

Very cool, glad it went well..... post some more pics.

That's awesome!
I drove my 'Cuda home 900 miles from Eugene OR to Chino CA 3 years ago.
But 2000 miles more than doubles my trip!

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back