• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tires Are Not What they Once Were.

I will say the General RT 43 (yep, sounds Dodge-ish and Petty-ish, huh?) tires on my Renegade outlasted their 75,000 mile rating.

The fronts needed replaced at 80,000 but the rears are still on at 82,500.
Man, Generals are the tires that gave me the most grief....and they weren't even past 5 years old. In fact, after the 3rd one that came apart and did damage to my Dakota, I filed a claim and General tire actually paid for the damage!

I've never likes BFG's. Always thought they are the most over rated car product out there.
The two brands that I've had good results with are BFG's and Michelin. For the first time many years ago I tired Yokohama and they ran great and none of them came apart. The main reason for buying the Yoko's were the tire size I wanted (equal to 10.50-31's) were available in a regular highway tread and they had a good rating and the price wasn't bad and one more....they were made in the states! TN to be exact.

Those general 43 RT's were pricey.

I replaced the front 2 with Yokahama.

I got about 4000 miles on my Coker Redlines before the plies separated on one of them. Replaced the front pair with Diamond Backs. All of these on BFG cores. I will say that I have owned a lot of BFG's over the years with no problems until the Coker tire.

When it blew, it's a wonder I didn't have a heart attack. It sounded like someone shot a shotgun at me.
I had that happen with a battery.. A generator at work had a battery that exploded about 25ft from me. Literally ram around looking for someone with a gun…

Thanks for deleting my comment, I really appreciate it, NOT!

Just had to replace the tires on my Promaster. First set on the front got just 28,000 miles on them. Second set got just 24,500. Rears looked good at 52,500. Coming home from a job I noticed a vibration. Went to BigO tire near my house to have tires checked. The fronts which I knew I needed weren’t causing the problem. The right rear had a ply separation. Bought four new ones. I asked about the warranty, which is 50,000 miles. They said if I have them rotated every 6,000 miles, they’d cover them. Rotation is free so that’s on the agenda as needed. These are E rated weight tires so they ain’t cheap. Having a new set put on Saturday on a 93 D150 I just bought. It sat 6 years in a garage, I can feel they aren’t good and they are checked. The BFGs on the Satellite are now 10 years old. I guess I’ve got to change those now. They still look good, like new actually, except for the rears from the rubber on the quarters.

I had three out of the four BFGs come apart on me also. They were about seven years old. Tread was still excellent. Since then I've gone with Mickey Thompsons and never had an issue.

I was going racing on this one the next day. This was parked in my driveway. I have no idea how old they were (not young) and I forgot to check before they were replaced.

20210605_095130.jpg 20210605_095122.jpg 20210605_095113.jpg

The two brands that I've had good results with are BFG's and Michelin.
Same here. All the "modern" vehicles here run Michelins and I swear by them.
Pricy, sure - but nothing else out there touches them.
If they made them in the sizes I need for Fred, he'd have them too.

EDIT: I did do a bit of a clutch dump on Fred yesterday on the way to vote.
At first, I thought the clutch was slipping....no smoke!
Then I realized, those old BFG's are getting hard. They were spinning all right, just not terribly sticky anymore. :)

My car had BFG's on it when I bought it. Not long after, I had a belt separate and had a long, slow, limp home ride. I now have Cooper's on it. No more BFG's for me.

Bit of thread drift....bringing my 78 Z-28 back to stock ( I bought it new in July of 78 ). Looking at these tires for it
https://www.kelseytire.com/performance-group-7/p225-70-r15-polysteel-rwl-small/
They are what was on it new but $440 each kinda hurts vs. $175 for others. Anybody have feedback on these?
ThanksChinese.
No actual feedback on the tires, but I don't think I would spend almost $1800 for tires that will very likely time out, looong before they wear out.

Auto Transport Service
Back