• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tires to wide

As posted, find wheels that will fit - is a far stretch IMO and pricy to want to modify the car to fit these unless you want to have a drag car.

I thought of that too, reminded me of a Ford I had at 16 years old with the *** end jacked up on Gabriel High Jackers...

15x8
5x4-1/2 bolt pattern with 4-1/2 backspacing.
Yep I purchased super cheap wheels from Summit. How many 4 door Belvedere's do you see with $2-3K wheel and tire packages? How do I know how much backspacing and offset to get on the new wheels so I don't continue to do this.

15x8
5x4-1/2 bolt pattern with 4-1/2 backspacing.
Yep I purchased super cheap wheels from Summit. How many 4 door Belvedere's do you see with $2-3K wheel and tire packages? How do I know how much backspacing and offset to get on the new wheels so I don't continue to do this.
Every car is a bit different. It will be easy to measure what you have on there now to figure out what you need. Should be able to tell real quick if your 275's will fit with a wheel that has more backspace.

Easy. You obviously have zero to the fender, with 4.5" bs. So if you have an inch to the spring, you split the difference, five inch backspace. Add half of the clearance to the spring to the backspace. You may find that nothing will give you enough clearance if the tire is simply TOO big!
Edit: as you have unfortunately found, too much backspace is much preferable to not enough. If you have too much , spacers can put the tire EXACTLY where you want it. I use spacers on three of my cars to fit the most tire possible.

Last edited:
That’s a very easy wheel to re sell. All of suppliers making these are backlogged to early next year.

5-1/2" backspacing is what's needed on virtually all B bodies. Then its just a matter of wheel width and that depends on the actual year and model.

Use the search box....this subject has been gone over countless times before here on FBBO.

Ran L60 15's 4" BS on 7" rims kiss the side walls on corners. Thread was 10". If you have 2" from sidewall to spring 5.5" BS will probably work but tight. A 7" wheel maybe a little narrow for your tires. Dumb luck my combo worked, didn't measure $h*t. OH getting tire in that well did you disconnect the shock?

Summit has Bart black steel wheels 15x8, 5 on 4 1/2 with 5" backspace, $54.
Part#529-5812-5
You could probably get a pair of matching 15x7 fronts and be under $250 for four......if 5" bs is what you need.

1 vote for air shocks and be cool

upload_2021-11-17_9-51-15.png

To be clear you must shorten the housing if you shorten the axles.
Otherwise the brakes will not line up with the Drums. Check clearance on the inside of the tires. If you have plenty of clearance Take the Housing to Moser and they will shorten the axles and housing 1/2" on each side and the cost will be minimal

Hello All, I got new tires for my 66 Belve 275/60/15 as you can see in the pic they are a little too wide. Does anyone have a trick for me to make these work without shortening my axle, or ordering new wheels with more backspacing. They fit on the inside just not on the outside.
Thanks View attachment 1194098
Wrong wheels

The tires are new, and desirable. The wheels are new, and desirable, and will probably fit numerous b-bodies, just not yours. Sell the wheels/tires, get the wheels that fit.

I have 255/60 on my 67 Belvedere with 15” and 4-1/2” back spacing w/o any rubbing. I will be getting 15” - with 4-3/4” backspacing for my 275/60/15’s

245/60 on an 8" rim with 4 1/2" backspace.
OK.
How did you get the wheel on? that is impressive.
View attachment 1194110
Hey Don,
I have a 66 Satellite, like the rear set up. What size rim and tire did you use for the front. I used a rim with
a 4 1/2" bs off a 70 AAR Cuda for a mock up. This is just to much bs for the front. To close to the upper a arm.
My stock 6 in rims have a 3 1/2 bs.

Auto Transport Service
Back