• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tires to wide

Josh Brink

Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
Hello All, I got new tires for my 66 Belve 275/60/15 as you can see in the pic they are a little too wide. Does anyone have a trick for me to make these work without shortening my axle, or ordering new wheels with more backspacing. They fit on the inside just not on the outside.
Thanks
tires 2.jpg

66/67 b-bodies have the tightest wheelwells of the bunch, making the backspace measurements the most critical to be right. Your backspace clearly isn't right.
I could give a facetious comment or two, but sorry, in my opinion the only fix is different wheels.
The setup you have would likely work great on a 68-70 super bee, or any fuselage car.

Your only hope is rolling the wheel well lips. That may not even be enough..

I can appreciate ghostrider's comment....but don't do it.

Find a set of wheels with a better set back. No cheap solution for this one. I had the same issue with my 66 Coronet

I can appreciate ghostrider's comment....but don't do it.

Find a set of wheels with a better set back. No cheap solution for this one. I had the same issue with my 66 Coronet
Agreed. I wouldn't do it but barring the right wheels, or different tires, not many other choices..

I agree, you need new wheels. Even a narrower tire isn't going to fit with those wheels. Hopefully, you have some space on the inside to play with? Good luck. ruffcut

245/60 on an 8" rim with 4 1/2" backspace.
OK.
How did you get the wheel on? that is impressive.
qMhDWRRDYDMjSJxv3PKknNQ9p_Ay4UcJ28yKgqL_3_oo1Yv62XfEJ4C9JHK1kY1uzA8FLhw=w1204-h903-no?authuser=0.jpg

There is THIS:

622F36BD-BDF4-44A7-9BBC-A9D6F55BF77C.jpeg

Or different wheels.

Last edited:
Looks like more backspacing is not offered in these wheels, What's your take on me having 1/2" cut out of the axle on each side?

Rolling the lip won't work, period. They rub higher up where quarter panel is concave. More back spacing.

Depends on whether the axle shortening is less costly and less hassle then replacing the wheels. If you can do it then hey, have at it.

Can't see the wheels, look like regular steel wheel? Custom wheel with right BS? Find an A-body 8.75 with large bolt pattern?$$$:rolleyes:

Buy new wheels - sell the one's you have. Shorten the axle and its just money spent.

Uhhh....Cut the axle? That is like buying a hat that is too small then getting your head shrunk to fit it.
The housing needs to be narrowed and the axle shafts as well. That is about $400 or so around here IF you can shorten the shafts and with the axle out of the car. Stock axle shafts usually can't be shortened because the shaft tapers down after the splines.
However......
Those wheels look like something you can buy for $100 -$150 each at Summit Racing.

Brutally honest? Your wheels are wrong. The best, easiest, cheapest, solution has already been mentioned. Get new wheels with more backspace. If the company you bought from doesn't offer any other backspace, shop around ! Somebody does. Even custom wheels are much easier and cheaper than narrowing a rear to adjust for the wrong wheel.

On my 67 coronet I run 15x8 wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing and 275/60/15 drag radials and no rubbing.

On my 67 coronet I run 15x8 wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing and 275/60/15 drag radials and no rubbing.
I think there is a little more room on the Coronet than the Belvedere.
From everything I've heard a 255-60 is the largest that you can fit and sometimes they will rub if your bushings are old or simply variance from car to car.

Auto Transport Service
Back