• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TNT's '78 Magnum

TNTsMAG

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Here's my 1978 Magnum XE I bought about 2 1/2 years ago. It's a survivor car with just over 30,000 original miles on it.

I'll make this my build thread.
thumbsup.gif

DSC00873_zpsd6005786.jpg

DSC00876_zpsd6d8a01e.jpg

DSC00877_zps651bdd4c.jpg

DSC00890_zpsd28ea2eb.jpg

DSC00875_zps2589492f.jpg

DSC00874_zps7ecfbc2f.jpg

DSC00883_zps98222239.jpg

It's a nicely optioned out model other then the engine. Ever option still works great, even the power antenna. The previous owners were in their 60-70+ years old and basically have waxed the paint off of it. It is rust free but has had some paint work done for a bad scratch on the door that doesn't quite match. This means I have to keep the body side moldings on it. I will get a it repainted at some point.
The mud flaps, pinstripes and wheel opening trim have been removed(my mom backed into it when I was visiting her and she destroyed one
rant.gif
).

It was Ziebarted when it was new too.
rolleyes.gif

I have a slapstik shifter from a 70 'Cuda to go in it on the way. The seats will be moved back about an 1 1/2" because I need more legroom. It will get a different steering wheel, the rallye dash I have (with the original speedometer in it) and a shift light.

I'd like to find the stainless pedal dress up kit for it(hint, hint).

Driveline wise it has a 360 lean burn 2 barrel carb engine with a non-lockup A999 trans and a 8 1/4 with 2.45 gears. This is all going to be changing real soon.

The basic plan for the engine is to have the block fully prepped with a zero deck height. I might make it a 408 if my budget can handle a forged crank.

Here's a basic parts list. I already have a pile of parts.

Scat I beam rods and KB107 pistons(unless I stroke it).
Prepped and lightly ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake(port matched with some porting).
Pertronix Ignitor III plug&play billet distributor and their 60 E-coil for it
XE275HL Comp cam with a set of Hughes 1.6 roller rockers(the cam might change if it's stroked).

It needs a bunch of regular maintenance just because of its age.

The trans will get a high stall convertor, a fresh high performance rebuild with a shift kit and a wide ratio gear set from another trans I have here.

I want to find either an 8 3/4 or a 9 1/4 rear axle to swap in setup with 3.55 gears and a limited slip.

Needless to say it will get different wheels and tires, plus more.

This is a 360 engine build that it should turn out like done by OU812 on the A-body forum if I don't stroke it. Here is his dyno results and a link a thread he made about it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=158426&highlight=360

attachment.php

There are a bunch of other planned modifications and more I'll be posting here.

3gears.gif

727 it....speaking from experience...8 3/4 fine if you dont stall the trans to high.

727 it? Sorry, bad move IMO since it takes triple the HP to run the 727 over the 904 and in addition, you'll need to cut the driveshaft down so it will fit, purchase another yoke for the trans, mess with the linkage, etc....

The 999 has the low gear set for first year to aid in getting off the line. Most evident with the super Hwy. gears, the 2.45's. Also, the 8-1/4 can take that kind of power. Even more so if your not going to beat the snot out of it.

What I do suggest is to move away from the rear ends ISO suspension. (Enter the 8-3/4 or older 8-1/4.) the cups that hold the rubber biscuits that sandwich the leaf springs could rip due to rust. I have been there and done that. As far as I know, there are no new or repop parts for the last of the B bodies. F, M & J's do have these parts repopped.

And the only other thing to do and I don't just suggest this, I call this a must, ditch the Lean Burn. You can leave it all there for that OE look. Just wire in a MP, 4secondsflat.com, MSD or other ignition under the battery tray or where ever you want to hide it if such a thing is called for.

727 it....speaking from experience...8 3/4 fine if you dont stall the trans to high.
727 it? Sorry, bad move IMO since it takes triple the HP to run the 727 over the 904 and in addition, you'll need to cut the driveshaft down so it will fit, purchase another yoke for the trans, mess with the linkage, etc....

The 999 has the low gear set for first year to aid in getting off the line. Most evident with the super Hwy. gears, the 2.45's. Also, the 8-1/4 can take that kind of power. Even more so if your not going to beat the snot out of it.

What I do suggest is to move away from the rear ends ISO suspension. (Enter the 8-3/4 or older 8-1/4.) the cups that hold the rubber biscuits that sandwich the leaf springs could rip due to rust. I have been there and done that. As far as I know, there are no new or repop parts for the last of the B bodies. F, M & J's do have these parts repopped.

And the only other thing to do and I don't just suggest this, I call this a must, ditch the Lean Burn. You can leave it all there for that OE look. Just wire in a MP, 4secondsflat.com, MSD or other ignition under the battery tray or where ever you want to hide it if such a thing is called for.

I totally agree and will be building the trans right, I agree there is no need to waste horsepower spinning a heavy 727. Adding the wide ratio makes it all the better. To match a wide ratio 999's 2.74 first gear with a 3.55 overall ratio with a 727 the 727 2.45 first combo needs to have a 3.97 gear to achieve the same overall ratio. A 999 will launch harder, have higher RWHP and still have decent street gear. They can handle the power. I'll probably use about a 3500rpm stall or slightly higher. It's a win win win type deal.

I already plan on at least eliminating the spring isolators and I'm probably offset the rear spring mounts for more tire room. An 8 3/4" would be my first choice. I will drive it hard and I'll make it to hook. It will see track use.

The lean burn is gone and the distributor I posted is a billet small diameter vacuum advance HEI multi- spark setup with a rev limiter built in. It is designed to work with the 60K low ohm E-coil I posted.

I'm not trying to keep it stock looking under the hood. The battery will be in the trunk. I haven't found any rust on it yet either.

Last edited:
I went through 4 999's and and the 727 took the beating in my 78 Cordoba.
My 360 was 30 over with stock heads and edlebrocks small cam with iron manifolds.

Good luck!

Elimination of the Iso-Clamp makes a huge improvement. Try to get solid front sub frame bushings (or at least go with poly-urethane). I don't think the offset spring hangers will fit (they didn't on a 74 Road Runner I had). A properly set up A999 should hold up fine. The low gear set will make a 3.23 feel like a 3.55.
These are nice cars, take out some of the suspension softness and they are great cars.

I do agree with everything BUT the 999...especially with the high stall....i don't see it.

Mine had all the tricks....4 in 2 years with a milder motor.
727 had tricks too and lasted 10 years in 3 cars with zero issues.

Yes the swap is a PITA but then you also get the 7290 u joints so you dont worry about the 7260s snapping.

I also ran a trans cooler on my 999's.

I can see the 999 in a -3200 a body track car with your combo.

3800#+ b? Not if you wanna beat on it which is what it appears you want to do by your choices.

Any ways... good luck, have fun, enjoy it, and i said my experiences.

Great cars to drive and sweeter as a cruiser.

Peace out!

Elimination of the Iso-Clamp makes a huge improvement. Try to get solid front sub frame bushings (or at least go with poly-urethane). I don't think the offset spring hangers will fit (they didn't on a 74 Road Runner I had). A properly set up A999 should hold up fine. The low gear set will make a 3.23 feel like a 3.55.
These are nice cars, take out some of the suspension softness and they are great cars.

I plan on solid mounting the K frame, using tubular UCA's and Poly bushings every where I can. I'll probably have to build the offset front hangers myself but the offset shackles will work. I was thinking about using some A-body springs with some custom CalTrac mounts, custom shock plates and some adjustable shocks.

I plan on using this trans kit http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/a904-1972-on-deluxe-racing-master-overhaul-rebuild-kit/ a 4.2 arm a Transgo shift kit and a custom torque converterhttp://www.dynamicracingtrans.com/tctconverters.htm It will also have a deep pan and a big trans cooler.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree with everything BUT the 999...especially with the high stall....i don't see it.

Mine had all the tricks....4 in 2 years with a milder motor.
727 had tricks too and lasted 10 years in 3 cars with zero issues.

Yes the swap is a PITA but then you also get the 7290 u joints so you dont worry about the 7260s snapping.

I also ran a trans cooler on my 999's.

I can see the 999 in a -3200 a body track car with your combo.

3800#+ b? Not if you wanna beat on it which is what it appears you want to do by your choices.

Any ways... good luck, have fun, enjoy it, and i said my experiences.

Great cars to drive and sweeter as a cruiser.

Peace out!

I know a few guys that have 999's adapted to sub 10 second 3700-3800lb big block B-bodys with a trans brake and a reverse valve body that have survived hundreds of runs. The 999 should hold up fine. I've run a couple in the past without any issues also.

I definitely wouldnt trust 3k plus stall launches on that 999... i agree its made for a smaller car, doesnt make it un reliable especially built up. But think about it if its for track wouldnt you want a part with a nearly flawless history book. We dont call the 727 bulletproof just because the iron ones could take shells. It takes ALOT to destroy the entire transmission and with an upgraded valve body..... need i say more.
im happy my 75 came with a 727 though aince the swap looks time consuming

I definitely wouldnt trust 3k plus stall launches on that 999... i agree its made for a smaller car, doesnt make it un reliable especially built up. But think about it if its for track wouldnt you want a part with a nearly flawless history book. We dont call the 727 bulletproof just because the iron ones could take shells. It takes ALOT to destroy the entire transmission and with an upgraded valve body..... need i say more.
im happy my 75 came with a 727 though aince the swap looks time consuming

I'm not worried about using a 999 in the least. I have had many Mopars over the years and know the differences. I ran a 4k converter in the past without any issues in one.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually a disabled ex-Mopar Master Tech of 15 years. I stopped wrenching back in 1999. After having a neck and lower back fusion I decided to get another old Mopar, this one brought back memories. I've had a bunch of Mopars, '71 340 'Cuda, 440-6 pack '70 Charger, a few 340 A-bodies, some C-bodies and many more over the years.

It should be a nice project to help keep me sane.

If I were adding anything, I would take a Que from the 77' Cordoba HD and the 79' 300. 727 Non-lockup HD, and the 9 1/4 limited slip rear.
my 77' Is set up that way, but is a 400 Engine.

That's a very special color package for a dodge Magnum. Where are you located? I have a black 78 project magnum. Like to stay in-touch with 78-79 Magnum owners.

Robert in Colorado

That's a very special color package for a dodge Magnum. Where are you located? I have a black 78 project magnum. Like to stay in-touch with 78-79 Magnum owners.

Robert in Colorado

It was the first '78 magnum the dealer was allotted itwas meant to be used as a display car. It wound up being a demo for the dealerships owners wife for the fist 1000 miles. I love the interior colors and the halo top is pretty rare. The top is in perfect condition.

I'm located about 15-20 minute away from Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI.

The Halo top is very rare. I've never seen a magnum with a full top. Mine has the half top. I removed the trim with plans to paint the car completely black.

The Halo top is very rare. I've never seen a magnum with a full top. Mine has the half top. I removed the trim with plans to paint the car completely black.

This is the first Halo top I've seen. It has the forged 15x6" Road wheels which I think wasn't too common. The top I'll keep, the wheels get replaced. I bet the red and white interior would look good in a black car.

Absolutely gorgeous car !!

Thanks. What's your ride?

Nice car, I actually prefer the full vinyl to the landau :)

Auto Transport Service
Back