• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too Close for Comfort

Dibbons

Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
I was not at the upstairs apartment we rent (owners live downstairs) last week but the wife was there. It was 1:30 AM and she was still up watching a video or something because it was still so hot at that time. She heard a funny crackling sound. Then she noticed a shiny reflection on the open metal apartment front door. Took a peek outside to find what you can see in the first photo.

There was a giant pile of dry tree limbs that had been trimmed over the last few weeks in the back yard that had caught fire somehow. She saved the day (woke up the residents, called the fire department, moved her car out of the yard, etc.)

There are no fire hydrants in this Mexican desert city. The water on board the responding fire truck ran out of water before the fire was extinguished. As protocol would have it, water tanker trucks respond to the fires as well. After the arrival of the auxiliary water, the fire was put out and only an outhouse was damaged by the heat and flames.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 5.48.05 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 5.48.14 PM.png

Wow, it's a good thing she was up watching the tube! Thank God it was snuffed out, no injuries & minimal damage!

One night in Germany, I woke up for some reason, and realized a weird glow in the hallway. I got up, and soon saw out a window that a building just adjacent to us had a large fire on the third floor. Long story short, we were outside till 2 or 3am before the fire was out and allowed back in the house. Besides getting the family out, I quickly moved the '69 Bee down the street!

Glad it turned out okay.

In 1986 I was in August GA. (Ft Gordon), sitting in my kitchen and noticed out of the window my neighbors house had smoke rolling out from under the eaves. Called the fire dept. The long story short was that the house belonged to the builder who was building the homes in that subdivision. Unfortunately he managed to build THIS house with one corner hanging out over the setback line and the city wouldn't give him a variance. So he attempted to burn it down for the insurance money so he could rebuild it 7 feet to the NE....lol. They took him away in cuffs. Idiot. They got it put out, but my new house smelled like smoke forever after. Asshole. Plus it took months to get the mess cleaned up and the house demolished. I had just bought my house.

Auto Transport Service
Back