• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools and spares package for a shakedown cruise

Stephen Hotz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. Once I get home on the evening of the 7th I have a week to get the engine in, all systems tested and a couple hundred miles on the Coronet. On either the afternoon of the 15th or early morning of the 16th we leave for the Roadkill Ziptie drags. Thats 861 miles 1 way.
What tools and spares would you take with you?
Engine is 360 magnum that has been re-ringed, valves lapped in, new oil pump, new pickup screen, new oil pan, 340 4v cast iron intake, Holley carb (thank you RRR), hoses and belts new.
So I have normal hand tools, crimpers as well. An extra fuel pump. Extra fuel filters. Extra belt (serpentine). Extra hei modules. 5 gallon fuel jug. Fuses.
Am I forgetting anything?

I took jumper cables, qt oil, firearm, beer. List too long for duct tape, radar etc. Cell phone, AAA.

Loved your trip post Dennis. Just sorry you had fuel problems.
Epic stuff, right there. Bucket list kind of thing for me, too.
I appreciate it when members share their adventures like Dennis did.
It gives me hope... :)

I did not see zipties mentioned. I would think these would be essential!
Mike

engine will be in same day. so you have plenty of time for the test drive and to chase down any little problems before you go.
I would add to the list a idler pulley for that belt system. They never go bad at home. If running headers, a spare set of gaskets.
tube of high temp silicone , roll of black tape , small roll of mechanics wire, tire plug kit, ballast resister, plug wire, couple hose clamps.
hide some cash in case you loose your wallet.
plus stuff above already listed.
Have a great time, wish I was going . :thumbsup:

We are looking at dropping photos and posts on here and instagram. May post a glymps link. Depending how much she can edit we may have some youtube footage of the trip as well. Would like to get off the interstate use the old us highway system for portions.

engine will be in same day. so you have plenty of time for the test drive and to chase down any little problems before you go.
I would add to the list a idler pulley for that belt system. They never go bad at home. If running headers, a spare set of gaskets.
tube of high temp silicone , roll of black tape , small roll of mechanics wire, tire plug kit, ballast resister, plug wire, couple hose clamps.
hide some cash in case you loose your wallet.
plus stuff above already listed.
Have a great time, wish I was going . :thumbsup:
Running the magnum manifolds. Good call on the idler.

Spare underwear, socks & TP. (And an empty gallon jug...)
And a distributor, fuel pump, couple of plug wires, starter relay, ignition module, voltage regulator & anything else you can think of.
And a flashlight:thumbsup:
Edit: I re read that you have extra fuel pump & HEI modules.
Have a great trip, sounds like fun!

• Some bottles of water
  • a bag of ground black pepper
  • a cake of soap
  • window cleaner & rags
  • spare running in oil
  • old clothes or overalls for crawling underneath car.

Auto Transport Service
Back