• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Box & subframe connector welding labor prices??

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I took the advice of many on here and bought some nice subframe connectors from Global West and 4 torque boxes from Sheet Metal Stuff. All nice looking pieces. However, I'm no welder and so I took them down to my local frame shop who did suspension work on my car before to get a quote on welding these pieces in. HOLY SMOKES! I need a sanity check here on their quote - To prep all areas of contact and weld in the seams on all 4 torque boxes as well as weld in both ends of both subframe connectors they are quoting me $2K!!! I know there is a lot of prep work to clean up the undercoat, rust, etc., but they are saying it's 20 hrs of labor at their shop rate of $100/hr and they'll do it on the frame machine so it's all nice and straight. I know you get what you pay for, but anybody else out there think this price is too high? I don't want to skimp on the quality of the welds and frame alignment though because I know this is one of the most important frame stiffening upgrades we can do on these cars. Please chime in today if possible so i can get back to him with a yes or no tomorrow.

Thanks all!

At first I was going to suggest doing the prep yourself so I looked up those connectors and they don't weld to the floor pan. Now knowing, thats not alot of welding, and that seems like a high shop rate to me. I'd have to say too much.

At first I was going to suggest doing the prep yourself so I looked up those connectors and they don't weld to the floor pan. Now knowing, thats not alot of welding, and that seems like a high shop rate to me. I'd have to say too much.

that's what I'm thinking because I heard others say about $400-$500 for the connectors, but this quote also includes the 3 seams on each of the 4 torque boxes. Anybody have an opinion on torque box welding labor? This total has got to be over $1K, but $2K still seems high.

I don't know what your situation is but when I first read this my first thought was for 2000 bucks a guy could buy a really good mig welder, take a welding course at a community college and do it yourself. I would suggest going to your local speed shop tell them your situation and you just might find another car guy who might help you out.

Wow, steep! I'm a welder and I would love to get that for that work, but, I'd feel like I was raping you! But, you're in CA, things are higher there. Your call...good luck!

thanks for the feedback guys - sounds like this price is too high. I wasn't sure if there were some special things to worry about with aligning the frame and making sure it was square since the welding is going to really lock things down. Sounds like i need to get a competing quote and also do some more digging and see if I can make friends with an experienced welder. The thing I'm lacking to do it myself besides the welding skill is a covered space and the means to lift the car at all 4 wheels to do this correctly.

I live about 3-4 hours from ya, bring the car and the parts and I will set the car up, level it front to rear then side to side, clean off the undercoating, weld in the parts, and send you on your way for the whopping price of making a new friend.

I live about 3-4 hours from ya, bring the car and the parts and I will set the car up, level it front to rear then side to side, clean off the undercoating, weld in the parts, and send you on your way for the whopping price of making a new friend.

Wow, are you serious? Believe me - I know how to work hard and get dirty and used to dig ditches for a living for PG&E, but I want to make sure it gets done right and I don't have my own space, so I would be ever grateful - if you're serious, I would love to meet you and take you up on your offer, but only if I can help and put in work myself on the car with however I can help without being in the way and then your car too if you need it. I don't want to take advantage of anyone.

Where do you live? Message me with an email and/or ph# and we can talk by phone. The Mopar community rocks!

Mighty swell of ya.....Hats off! :tiphat:

Just passing on the favor that has been done for me. I cant see spending 2k for about 3-4 hrs of work, that is "FRIGGIN'" insane!!!!!

Very nice, 5.7!:icon_salut::thumbsup:

68 Sport Satellite;5.7 is a good cat. I've had dealings with him;he'll take care of ya!

Class move Zach;we're all proud of you.

However...

:worthless_thread:

Some of us would like to see what goes into this..hint,hint.

Thanks guys, just rying to help out a mopar guy. Pics would be great, healso found another shop to do the work for a reasonable price, so he wont be bring it down for me to install, it's a 3-4 hour trip 1 way for him. I'm sure he'll chime in and catch everybody up to speed.

Good to hear he is getting a better deal....After looking at the Global West subframe connector's on their website, looks like it would be pretty tough to use up an hour welding/grinding on those. Torque boxes, maybe a couple hours at the most...$2 grand.......Geesh, Highway robbery!

100 bucks an hour doesn't sound too bad but the time to put them in....geez he slow lol.

2k?? man id hate to see the bill if u were a woman asking the same question...

Auto Transport Service
Back