• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter issue?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a 70 b body 440 with a A727 and a 2000 stall torque converter. When I nail it from a stop, all is good. Quick and great shifting thru the gears. If I’m doing 45mph, and I drop it into 2nd gear and nail it, the car falls on its face for a second or two. If I ease into the throttle it’s better. Could this be a TC issue? This has happened with different carbs, fuel injection, dizzys, timing etc. should I go back to a stock TC? Not a race car.
Sonny
B0B47894-EDEB-48FA-8362-862B02F4D960.jpeg
D6BE4E60-6D83-486F-B2B9-CECA0D06E621.jpeg

with the stock tc did you have the same problem at 45?

Not sure a converter could case a hesitation. I would think timing and fuel delivery would be something to look harder at. Both requirements are different, from a standstill vs a kick down from cruise to WOT.

with the stock tc did you have the same problem at 45?
Never had a stock one. Swapped small block with big block and trans rebuild guy selected this one.

So you are ironing out the bugs right now. you tried 2 different carbs and same result?

So you are ironing out the bugs right now. you tried 2 different carbs and same result?
4 and a new fuel injection unit.

Someone mentioned Transmission pump. Is it possible I don’t have the kick down linkage set properly to the transmission pump? I’m using the Lokar cable type.

I personally dont think it the pump. check the linkage setup

You were right snakeoil! I used my fancy EFI data log and noticed that bog showed an afr of around 9 at 3000 rpm. Changed wot afr from 12.5 to 13.2 and bog is gone!!! Thanks for the tips.

Auto Transport Service
Back