• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque ?

383MovingViolation

Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score
What's the torque for the large bolt holding the harmonic balancer? 383 engine. How about 60 ft. lb., would that hold it on. I also used lock tight. I think it's 90 ft. lbs. but when I go beyond 60, it just don't feel right and a damn sure don't want to strip the threads Thanks :icon_eyes:

6 blatta blatta's on the impact gun.

- - - Updated - - -

135 ft/lbs

X2 with the 135 ftlbs for a factory bolt, not the 6 blatta, blatta's. That is unless your impact gun is calibrated for blatta, blatta's :)

What's not feeling right? Is the engine starting to turn when you put 60 on it or do you have it locked in place?

Maybe it 'doesn't feel right' because the bolt is pulling the balancer further in. Try using the installer again with the motor locked up to make sure it's fully installed before tightening the retaining bolt. Locktite is a good thing, along with the "special" factory washer.

but when I go beyond 60, it just don't feel right and a damn sure don't want to strip the threads Thanks :icon_eyes:

You won't strip the threads on the crank, it'll be the bolt that goes. I bet like the others said, the balancer is not fully seated - you're feeling it move after 60 ft-lbs.

If that balancer comes loose at speed, it takes the crank pulley with it and together they will make quite a mess - so it's a good thin you asked - I wonder how many guys would have just said good 'nuff.

I did have the engine locked down and the bolt kept turning when I got close to 60 ft. lb. It just didn't feel like it was doing anything and I didn't want to pull the threads so I stopped. Now I believe the balancer was not completely on so I put the installer back on and tightened it down more. I finally got it torqued to 60 ft. lbs. and it seems good. That is the torque that was on the paper in the box that I got with the new balancer. Thanks for all the good advice.

Auto Transport Service
Back