• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moog K772 Upper Ball Joints - Better Check Before Installing

padam

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I wanted to put this info out there because it seems to have been a problem for a few other people over the years.

I just finished rebuilding the front end on my 1973 Charger.
I replaced upper and lower ball joints. The lowers were NOS TRW and were fine.

The uppers I got initially were current production Moog K772. The first one I tried to install threaded in loosely by hand, then I when I tried to torque it down, stripped in the hole.

The old part ball joints came out like they were supposed to (tight most of the way.) I checked the outside diameter over the threads on the new parts, and the one I tried to install was significantley smaller than the old ones, and quite out of round. The dimensions are below.

Of course I checked out this forum first and saw that others have had this problem, and welded them in. I wanted to see if different ball joints might have bigger threads before I resorted to welding.

Since I wanted to keep making progress, I bought 2 AC Delco Gold 88911375 ball joints from Summit. I did not record the dimensions, but when I checked them they were close to the ones I removed. The quality on these looked good.
They installed smoothley and torqued up tight and solid.

Part Od Small-Large
Moog K772 New 1 1.821 - 1.834 Attempted installation but would not torque up.
Moog K772 New 2 1.829 - 1.838

Old 1 1.839 - 1.841
Old 2 1.838 - 1.839

AC Delco Gold 88911375 45D0004 Installed

A couple of other moog parts I had problems with:
Moog ES401L Tie rod end - received with no threads on stem
Moog K7066 Idler arm - The mounting bolt hole is close to .030" over the bolt size. This seems excessive and in my mind could allow too much play. I ended up putting a .010" shim in the hole

Upr BJ Moog K772 New-02.JPEG

ES401L.jpg
IMG_2364.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently had an issue with a moog lower control arm bushing, the pin slid into the bushing sleeve with no resistance. It was in a sealed box from Rock Auto, they sent out a replacement and it was fine. Quality or perhaps different manufacturing plants are have qc issues.

Didn't read everything because I've been down this road before....and well from what I've been seeing it's Shineeeese ****!

Exactly why I have a stash of NOS mopar suspension parts put away

Hmmm. Off shore parts sucking. Unfortunately not uncommon anymore. I used Mood ball joints and one had to be tack welded in place.

all you get with moog now is the name on the box. the parts are sourced from the cheapest supplier and put in the box. Moog sold out a few years ago. April 2018 to be exact

all you get with moog now is the name on the box. the parts are sourced from the cheapest supplier and put in the box. Moog sold out a few years ago. April 2018 to be exact
:BangHead: Guess I need to keep an eye on the Bee. Just did upper ball joints last year.

I ran into that exact same thing several years ago on my Dusters upper ball joints. I won't use Moog again. I think I went with Proforged and they fit perfect.

:BangHead: Guess I need to keep an eye on the Bee. Just did upper ball joints last year.
As long as they tightened up well at the end should be okay.
Now the ball and socket may still get loose prematurely...

Just smoked a Moog ball joint in less than 5000 miles on my truck. Must be some kind of record. I did all 4 at the same time. The rest are ok so far, but we will see.

The above comment they sold out doesn’t surprise me.

Got a moog kit for my 70 bee last year... probably 70% of it was from overseas...had problems with it. 2 upper control arm bushings were correct. Other 2 were over sized and had no chance of going in. Called and complained...gave them the micrometer readings and explained the problem. They sent 4 more bushings that were oversized. Gave up, went to Napa, got two that fit. Would not spend the money on moog anymore.

You also need to check the dimensions of the stud in diameter, length and proportions of the threaded/tapered/straight areas of the stud. I had a pair, oe "replacements" where the studs were 1" difference in length compared to what I took off. Not a good thing to have when replacing them and one side is different than the other.

Bought my Moogs from Craig @mobileparts

He carries all made in the USA. Not any problems with installation. There's problems with upper and lower bushings made out of the states also.

There's like two hundred threads on this topic.

Bought my Moogs from Craig @mobileparts

He carries all made in the USA. Not any problems with installation. There's problems with upper and lower bushings made out of the states also.

There's like two hundred threads on this topic.
Same place I got mine.
Craig was very helpful and is standing behind his product. He actually checked with Moog and they confirmed that they shipped some out of spec.

If you look at that MOOG tie rod box above, on the label , you will see a 7 digit number — in this case — 1062046…
That is the run number on that particular run of parts…

MOOG U.S.A. —- as in St.Louis , Missouri , where they are headquartered, and their first and primary Manufacturing Plant still exists —- confirmed that one run of the MOPAR threaded Upper Ball Joint —- the K 772 —- run number
15.. … something, was set up incorrectly , and is too thin…

They are well aware of the situation, and like any recall situation, they apologize and will happily take them back for replacement…

That sure as heck doesn’t make you feel any better when you are in your garage , working on your vehicle….sheeeze..

It is devastatingly infuriating when “ the best “ is merely living off their reputation, and not producing “ the best “ any longer… In this failed batch run, it is “ just “ a mistake…
That certainly doesn’t address the overseas question of
“ Quality Control “ and the increasing farming out of parts , and just putting them in a MOOG box….

The Best on the Planet??? N.O.S. MOOG and N.O.S. TRW ,
but how many items is that absolutely non - existent ????
( Or crazily overpriced on e-bay or some other avenue, also)

The solution ??? You may ask…. There is simply — N O —
Great solution, sadly….
My answer : MOOG , still, but not 100 % … as padam found out — BEWARE / check every item thoroughly ….

Craig….

I’ve ranted about this before, so I’ll make it brief this time.

I was in Menards (big box hardware like Home Depot) about a week ago. Wife was looking at Crismas decorations, and I was having trouble finding a knotted wire wheel for my bench grinder.

Every item I looked at or picked up, including children’s toys, was made in China.

My conclusion is that that’s what the great majority of Americans want. They buy this worthless garbage by the truckload. Their appetite for crap consumer goods is insatiable.

Just one more reason I don’t fit in to this time or place.

What happened to Proforged parts? I used their ball joints on my 67 Coronet a couple years ago, got them from Rock Auto. They seemed to be high quality parts. But I don't see them anymore. Anyone know if they changed their name or what happened.

This reminds of what has happened to a once Quality made in USA tool Co. Now the Chincks Own S-K tools and making them in China !

Auto Transport Service
Back