• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar direction

steve maluk

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
hello gang
i understand the left from right torsion bar by markings on bars but is there a front or back direction also do they need to be clocked or just install
thanks
sjm

many say they don't need to be front or back but i installed mine with the part number at the rear which was how they were installed from the factory. As far as clocking them they are already clocked

thanks
there are markings on both sides
this is a e body car which should not be an issue correct.
do not install dry ?

I always put the numbers facing the rear, but it doesn't matter a bit. Just make sure left and right are correct. Don't install them dry, grease them up good.

Don't install them dry, grease them up good.

1703852287802.png

many say they don't need to be front or back but i installed mine with the part number at the rear which was how they were installed from the factory. As far as clocking them they are already clocked
When you say part number, does that refer to the 781, 782 numbers?

I always put the numbers facing the rear, but it doesn't matter a bit. Just make sure left and right are correct. Don't install them dry, grease them up good.
Which part of the torsion bars needs to be greased up good?
The torsion bar ends?
The insert on the LCA?
The boot?
All the above?

The hex ends and socket areas (chassis grease) and the boots (silicon grease) - which in the process of lubing the boots up to slide into position will end up with some lube on the bar itself. But the bar can be wiped off once they are all installed.

They only require grease to stave off corrosion, as they are in line to get lots of road spray, etc There is very little movement/wear in the actual hex connection (Ie slop), and they are 99+% of the time under load, No paint will survive in that application, but grease will.

KY is for movement.

And reverse loading, or flipping side to side greatly reduces fatigue life. Pristine TB's have a lifespan in the millions of cycles, reversing them reduces that by maybe 1/2 or more. Thats one factor in why connecting rods have such a tough time.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back