• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar install

is there any tricks to installing my torsion bars in my B body ?

any specific steps ?
Just remember that the bars are a system. Grease boots and lube need to be added and filled correctly

Hmmm..... if I had a driver's side bar that twists counter-clockwise as the suspension compresses....... and I turn that bar around front/back........ then it will now twist clockwise.
My original factory bars are marked left & right any idea which end goes to the front or rear as purple beeper said it would be twisting in the wrong direction if spun around the wrong way

339321726_140755545627889_4358267203944163084_n.jpg

339398836_126838616969052_2938111214275024952_n.jpg

Either way as I recall sir. Left is left. Right is right.

I wondering about that myself. I have a picture of my bars with tape on the L-R ends. I thought that the taped ends were towards the front. Not sure now. One thing about it right now, they're easy to change. They slide right in and out. But I want to make sure they are in the right orientation. You can see on the tape the letter "T" from the word front. I certainly wish I had taken a better picture. More self explanatory.
So Wayne, the part numbers are the ones shown below?? " 779 L " " 778 R "

bars.jpg

Last edited:
Those are the part numbers. Now whether every worker put them in that way or it was a 50/50 thing, as they did get coloured paint bands on them so line workers didn't have to bother reading the ends of the bars when they grabbed what it said on the broadcast sheet as the car was going down the line. Possible nobody cared, but it was the end by the crossmember that had the paint bands. My Bee, Bird and Dart all have the bars in part number showing and the other ends date code in the LCA.
1969dartswingercleanup 236.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 237.JPG
1969dartswingercleanup 238.JPG

Thanks Wayne. :thumbsup:
Understood. Mine go in easier that way also. They slide right in. Tighter fit the other way. As in going to have to hammer them home.
I just finished up. I put the part #'s to the rear. They slid in nicely.

Auto Transport Service
Back