• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bars or sway bar

Summit delivered the new bar today. I figured I would just check it out. The bar and bracketry are definitely much beefier than stock.....next thing you know. I did have to add a spacer under that support from the K member to the rad support to clear the bigger bar.

IMG_20220730_142713174.jpg

IMG_20220730_144033775.jpg

IMG_20220730_144158403.jpg

IMG_20220730_144343824.jpg

IMG_20220730_162343170.jpg

IMG_20220730_162222582.jpg

I drove the car today and it immediately seemed more stable. I didn't encounter any long sweeping on ramps, but I did try several S curves and it handled them well. I got back to the garage and decided to check all of the bolts for tightness. The bushings were slightly cocked, so I added a couple of shims and re centered them. So far so good.

IMG_20220801_170659138.jpg

IMG_20220801_170708043.jpg

I put a huge swaybar on my e-body ragtop. It has almost zero body roll.

Yes I think it was a good call. If the bar were any bigger and there would be clearance issues on the K frame.

Has anybody used the Summit or Hellwig 7/8 rear sway bar? I am seriously thinking about it but I am curious about how it fits.

I found some pictures of the sway bar installed and had another look underneath my car. With the huge factory mufflers there doesn't seem to be enough room for the end links, which are attached to the inside of the frame rails. I will run it for now and see how I like it. There are also other brands that seem to have the end links attached to the underside of the frame rails that might fit better.

The end links should fit.
But the mounts are not easy David and I did one set with hand tools and another by cutting and welding.
Welding is much much easier...
I have some custom springs in the rear of mine and they are quite heavy I think they help but mine is no road car either.
You should have talked with the guy doing the autocross with his 66.

If you slide the sway bar mounts to the end of the bar where it transitions to the eye for the links they go in pretty easy. Lube it up good and squeeze them in with a channel locks, no cutting or welding necessary…

Auto Transport Service
Back