• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

total timing

brad 66

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
what is total timing . I set the timing but I hear people talking total how do I do other side I have a pretty stock 383

Total timing is base timing when you set timing at idle and the remaining advance between base and when full advance takes place . So
you set base timing at idle of let say 12 degrees before top dead center then add another 24 degrees when full advance takes place at an rpm of let say 3200 rpm. Don't confuse with vacuum advance another entire discussion.

"Total" refers to the total amount of mechanical advance the dizzy goes after idle or "base". You would want like 12-18 base and 32-36 total. You'd have to check with a timing light, unless you have a balancer with degree markings on it.

You also check your total timing at 3000-3500+ RPM. Whenever your weights have fully overcome the springs.

Auto Transport Service
Back