• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tow vehicle

09-15 Are the most frequent offenders. I have done 6 motors in the past 3-4 months. My wifes 11' Jeep actually spun a cam bearing and wrecked the block(140k).

I am religous on oil changes and changed hers with Mobil 1 at 3500-4k. I recently did a 14' Ram which that guy used Valvoline synthetic, wix filter and changed at 3k intervals. His dropped 3 lifters at 90k.

The thing I've been seeing is they are not always on the MDS cylinders. That truck had one bad lifter on a mds cylinder and the other 2 on non mds. My wifes had 4 that had play in the wheel on various cylinders.

I have been deleting the MDS and putting in non-mds cams from AMS. I also have been putting in 10-30 now and some people are arguing for even thicker, like 20-50VR1 and one cam supplier has even said run straight 30 or 40 weight.

Its annoying and the cost sure sucks. But they all have issues and why they cant sort it out is stupid.

If you're contemplating putting a cam and lifters in it, at least pull all 4 MDS solenoids and look at the bottom of them. They have magnets and will hold a ton of garbage if the system is contaminated.

I dont condone it-but alot of people with both the hemis and LS stuff just slam new cam and lifters in them and go on their way.

I’ve done many cams in 5.7 trucks . I have noticed a lot of time the total engine run hours including idle and drive equate to 7-8k hours and the miles can be high or low. I’ve seen various lifters fail, no consistency on that. I’ve pulled them apart put in new cam, lifters, all gaskets, oil pump, timing set and tensioners, water pump,fan clutch and belt, drop the pan and clean out the block and reassembled and had no problems. My shop didn’t wish to remove the block..? I also sent the heads out to get touched up and manifolds also removed any broken studs , also replaced cam phaser too. Dam near an in frame with them in 2500 series truck that received no to few oil changes. I ran one with the rocker covers off to see how they oiled.. they get plenty up top but I really feel the oil is to thin for fleet use and the had a run of bad lifters with the incorrect hardness on the rollers... idk I’m not a rocket scientist but just another mechanic... let you know what i seen and did.. it’s a good engine just fix the problem and move on in my book. GM LS engines do it as well and Ford have timing chains wear thru the valve covers and let the oil fly out and timing chains get all wacky and the spark plug and head gasket issue... so pick your poison! I really cannot say what causes it.. luck of the draw !

I’ve done many cams in 5.7 trucks . I have noticed a lot of time the total engine run hours including idle and drive equate to 7-8k hours and the miles can be high or low. I’ve seen various lifters fail, no consistency on that. I’ve pulled them apart put in new cam, lifters, all gaskets, oil pump, timing set and tensioners, water pump,fan clutch and belt, drop the pan and clean out the block and reassembled and had no problems. My shop didn’t wish to remove the block..? I also sent the heads out to get touched up and manifolds also removed any broken studs , also replaced cam phaser too. Dam near an in frame with them in 2500 series truck that received no to few oil changes. I ran one with the rocker covers off to see how they oiled.. they get plenty up top but I really feel the oil is to thin for fleet use and the had a run of bad lifters with the incorrect hardness on the rollers... idk I’m not a rocket scientist but just another mechanic... let you know what i seen and did.. it’s a good engine just fix the problem and move on in my book. GM LS engines do it as well and Ford have timing chains wear thru the valve covers and let the oil fly out and timing chains get all wacky and the spark plug and head gasket issue... so pick your poison! I really cannot say what causes it.. luck of the draw !
It seems to have a lot of oil up top, but drain back seems an issue here as well.
I can say that with mine, it was a non mds lifter that failed.
I dont let the truck idle at all, even warming up in winter.
Unfortunately I bought it with 50k on it, so who knows...
I did find that in my case, that the cam seems to have gone away first.
8 lobes were either scuffed or pitted with no signs of problems on 7 of those lifters.

On my son's car, a 2012 6.4 Challenger, we noticed a tick.
70k miles. (Mostly abusive)
We decided to be proactive and tear into it.
All lifters were fine, but the cam had a few scuffed lobes.
It was starting there too.
Since its apart, may as well go bigger now...

Screenshot_20210318-070927_Gallery.jpg

Heads were redone, and another issue with these things resolved.
New oil pan.

Screenshot_20210318-071118_Gallery.jpg 20210318_071057.jpg Screenshot_20210318-071045_Gallery.jpg

The oil pan thing is an across the board thing, I swear they manufacture them to rust. I think they would rust in the desert....The car company's build cheap **** then sell it for a kings ransom and cry poverty as they pay themselves millions in bonus's....

Last edited:
I personally thinks its a combination of dirty oil and poor additive package in today's oils. Just like flat tappet cams low zinc hurts.
Doug

We just bought a 2020 Ram with a 5.7. the Salesmen told me he highly recommends Pennzoil oil and changing the oil every 3000-5000 miles. He said he didn't recommend waiting until the computer flashes "oil change"

I'm sure this is why.

Oil is cheap engines are very expensive. 5-20 is very light oil, hemis from09-16 have issues eating lifter rollers causing cam failures... on trucks they say you can run 5-30 in the owners manual for heavy duty use..Also engines run hotter and it helps cool internals.. your choice I replace it every 3-4K , use a mopar filter and 5-20 for my 300, SRT gets whatever it calls for and a mopar SRT filter.. No excuses and my 5.7 has 200k on it and is strong.

I change my oil every 3000 miles using mobile 1 synthetic and mopar filters.
I don't know how this truck was treated for its first 50,000 miles, but it was coddled the past 90,000.

We just bought a 2020 Ram with a 5.7. the Salesmen told me he highly recommends Pennzoil oil and changing the oil every 3000-5000 miles. He said he didn't recommend waiting until the computer flashes "oil change"

I'm sure this is why.
Don't let it idle...

beat it like a red headed step child.....then when it breaks there will be no question why

I'm wonder if it's the first 50k miles that started the clock ticking. Just a thought.
That's what I was thinking.
I was aware of the issues with these engines when I bought it so I was being as careful as I could with it.

Back up and running again.
Mds deleted and towing tune installed.
If I get another 100,000 towing miles I'll be happy...

Screenshot_20210323-064946_Gallery.jpg

its not a Chrysler engineering problem , which I don't even know if they have them anymore, but the hemi is made by cummins

Auto Transport Service
Back