• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing Opinions - 2003 Durango R/T

The front end issue was ball joints.

Mine doesn't have that issue either. I still have the as built parts on!
(BTW, they are bizarre- all four rivets are on the same side!)

I didn't have the door weatherstrip leak issue either.

...or the heater core issue.

...or the trans issue.

...but I did have the MAP/MAF sensor issue which never got totally fixed and still surges at 55-65 MPH with the cruise on.

...and it eats serp belt idler pulleys, and kind of eats water pumps.

Super easy fixes considering some of the chronic issues it could have.

I hope after 14 years that those problems would have already popped up and been addressed. He did have a master cylinder issue that he fixed and he fixed the actuator doors to the rear a/c area. My dad's 5.9 loved water pumps for some reason.

I'm surprised at how long most of my OEM installed parts lasted.

I didn't need to put brake shoes on the rear until almost 100,000 miles, and I've only done the front pads twice!

I found a local 2003 Durango R/T (5.9 l with 3.92 gears) and am thinking about buying it. It is in super great condition with 85k miles. I would like to have an SUV for hauling things for the house but the main reason is that it has the towing capacity for my Road Runner (7300 lbs.). I know the engine can handle it but that doesn't always mean it's a good idea vehicle wise and transmission wise. Does anyone on here have real world experience towing with this vehicle and would they recommend it? It would be rare that I tow the roadrunner but when I do, it would be pretty long distances. From the research I have done, it looks like I would need a hitch equalizer but is that enough?

I appreciate any opinions you guys have.
I haven't read but the first response and I went straight to a reply for my story.

7 years ago......

1998 Durango (First year) 5.9/3.92 gears. Mileage? 345,000+
Drive from Centereach Long Island New York (google 11720 area code)
Down I-95 /I-85 to Winder Ga. to pick up a all steel '71 Duster manual steering/ takes/non A/C car w/a 400/727/8-3/4 with a rented U-Haul trailer flat bed (Read HEAVY!)

It was 1 day down, sleep, load, leave, 1 days back.
Burned 1 qt of oil down, 2 up.

So how did it do?
Not to bad!

Did it struggle?
At some points, it did. Some of the long hills which you would never notice (or not think about as you notice) in a car were a bit difficult on the trip.
On the hills, the overdrive was turned off to increase rpm and torque. The engine simply liked the OD off going up hill.

Extra braking room was needed of course, but nothing to write home about. It takes a little extra time and therefore space. It's worth the mention to the rookie towing and extra 4200lbs.

Add co-driver 200lbs. Overnight luggage, cooler filled with ice for drinks and food, full tank of gas, dang,! weight adds up quick!

If I could throw money at the truck like the US government does at it's problems, I would do a 408, mild cam, 4.30 gears.

Last edited:
It weighs over 4800#'s empty,
not sure what the Durango's weigh
2wd or 4wd ?
My wife's 98 Durango was around that weight. My daughters '00 Durango was the smaller 2 door and without the extra as the wife's had. (Wife's) 3rd row seating, rear A/C vents etc....
There was approximately an 800lbs. difference in weight. Acceleration was way better in the daughters Durango! Way better!
I prefer to drive the Dakota, if you can't tell "I love it",
fits in my garage too...
Even if it only gets like 17mpg on a good day,
20mpg on freeway/hwy flat ground, in the valley, long trips...

I agree! I so LOVE my '03. Though, it is missing a V8/5.9. The little V6 gets down in power in the summers heat and humidity.

It is ridiculously awesome in the snow. Drive through unplowed 30 inches of snow, not a problem. The wife can keep her Durango!
Cooper AT3's were great!

Don't think they made 2 door Durangos.

My Dakota is a club cab.

JY scale says 4200 with a moderate amount of crap in the back seat.

Auto Transport Service
Back