• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towing Opinions - 2003 Durango R/T

plymouthman72

Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
I found a local 2003 Durango R/T (5.9 l with 3.92 gears) and am thinking about buying it. It is in super great condition with 85k miles. I would like to have an SUV for hauling things for the house but the main reason is that it has the towing capacity for my Road Runner (7300 lbs.). I know the engine can handle it but that doesn't always mean it's a good idea vehicle wise and transmission wise. Does anyone on here have real world experience towing with this vehicle and would they recommend it? It would be rare that I tow the roadrunner but when I do, it would be pretty long distances. From the research I have done, it looks like I would need a hitch equalizer but is that enough?

I appreciate any opinions you guys have.

I tow everything with my 2000 Dakota R/T (5.9/3.92:1 SG).

It's borderline abuse.

You are correct, there is plenty of motor and gear.

I was told to expect my nylon rear sway bar links to crack and fall off, but that hasn't happened in 165,000 miles.

I was also told that leaving the O/D on would ruin it.

I take that a little more seriously. I turn it off for starting and stopping with a load.
When I get to 45-55, or near cruising speed, I turn it back on (unless I know there's a stop coming up), and I turn it off in time for the gear to help with the deceleration.

I've towed a full size 1980 D100/150 about 40 miles with it, and I've towed a 1973 Charger with the Charger and the Dakota bed FULL of mostly metal spare parts.....for about 80 miles.

Both those examples are perhaps WAY past pushing the limit, but it did it.

I routinely tow a 5x8 trailer with swap meet parts, a riding motor, motor cycle, furniture, etc.

One load of furniture was four hotel dresser/TV stands that weighed 350-400 pounds each.
That's 1200-1600 pounds plus the 600 pound trailer, and The truck barely felt it.

Last week I had 35 sand bags in the bed at an average of 50 pounds- 1750.

I L O V E my Dakota.

Can you tell?

I tow everything with my 2000 Dakota R/T (5.9/3.92:1 SG).

It's borderline abuse.

You are correct, there is plenty of motor and gear.

I was told to expect my nylon rear sway bar links to crack and fall off, but that hasn't happened in 165,000 miles.

I was also told that leaving the O/D on would ruin it.

I take that a little more seriously. I turn it off for starting and stopping with a load.
When I get to 45-55, or near cruising speed, I turn it back on (unless I know there's a stop coming up), and I turn it off in time for the gear to help with the deceleration.

I've towed a full size 1980 D100/150 about 40 miles with it, and I've towed a 1973 Charger with the Charger and the Dakota bed FULL of mostly metal spare parts.....for about 80 miles.

Both those examples are perhaps WAY past pushing the limit, but it did it.

I routinely tow a 5x8 trailer with swap meet parts, a riding motor, motor cycle, furniture, etc.

One load of furniture was four hotel dresser/TV stands that weighed 350-400 pounds each.
That's 1200-1600 pounds plus the 600 pound trailer, and The truck barely felt it.

Last week I had 35 sand bags in the bed at an average of 50 pounds- 1750.

I L O V E my Dakota.

Can you tell?

That's the kind of real world stuff I like to hear! Do you think the Durango being and SUV will sag more in the back due to it being a SUV? If I were to tow it, it would be anywhere from 300 to 1000 miles otherwise I would prefer to drive the car :). Gross weight shouldn't be more than 6,000 lbs so its not so much the drivetrain I am worried about but the safety factor.

Your're going to feel that 3800# car plus the trailer back there.

..and you feel it more than if you were using a full size truck.

Undersized tow vehicle....no problem.

Hoe-het-mis-kan-gaan-met-een-stacaravan.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing, to occasionally tow my 65 Coronet.

1500 sized pickup would be the smallest for me. If you need an SUV look at a Tahoe or Suburban. Suburbans were or still might be available in 3/4 ton.

My '02 4.7 struggled just a bit to get things rolling from a stop towing my 3400 pound boat. Other than that, never had an issue. This did not have the "tow package" on it. I just bolted a hitch on and added a five-flat wiring kit. If you're going to flat tow a car or a heavy trailer without brakes, you're going to need some extra stopping room.
DurangoBoat.jpg

My '02 4.7 struggled just a bit to get things rolling from a stop towing my 3400 pound boat. Other than that, never had an issue. This did not have the "tow package" on it. I just bolted a hitch on and added a five-flat wiring kit. If you're going to flat tow a car or a heavy trailer without brakes, you're going to need some extra stopping room.
View attachment 518921
Great looking Durango. Really like those years body style and the Blue colors they had.

Never forget that towing is rated under "severe duty" for oil changes etc. And yeah turn off the lock on the torque converter/ overdrive unless it's a long level stretch of highway.

It can be done
If you're comfortable, and experienced.
For me, it's a minimum 3/4 ton. It's not the go factor, it's the whoa factor that will get you in trouble. I would have no problem doing it, but all systems (brakes, cooling, tranny cooler, and most importantly trailer brakes) will have to be at 100%. And you will need an equalizing hitch for sure.
Personally, I would be looking for a crew cab truck 1/2 ton & up with a factory tow package- mpg on Durangos are bad anyway.
2 cents in:rolleyes:
And yes, I towed a 24' travel trailer with a V-8 Dakota.
For one season.......

2000 Durango with 5.2, 3.90 gears, limited slip, fully loaded with trailer tow package. Towed my daughter's 03 PT GT and it did it fine but it let me know it was back there. IIRC, her car weighs in at 3400 and my open trailer is right at 1000 lbs with no brakes. I've towed other things that were lighter but the PT was the heaviest vehicle. I also have a 97 Dodge extended cab diesel with 8' bed and hands down, that thing is the way to go. I gave up short wheelbase light weight vehicles (the Durango is 4600 lbs!) a long time ago. The diesel is just a hair over 6000 lbs. Heck, my old 79 SWB pickup with 3.91's and 360 did much better than the Durango for some reason but the 3/4 ton LWB makes both of them look bad. Best tow vehicle I've had was a 79 1 ton Club Cab, 8' bed, 360, granny gear 4 speed and 4.10 gears. It had 12.50-33's on it so the 4.10's weren't too bad. The bigger the tow vehicle, the better the tow....

beware - durangos are gas pigs.
had a 4.7 4wd, and now have a 5.2 rwd.
5.2 set up for towing, cant comment on the capability of.
except --------------- that boy2 has beat the **** out of it, and im surprised it still runs

Hey, thanks. Unfortunately a guy from France going the wrong way on a one way totaled it for me in downtown Chi.............
View attachment 518923
Oh Sh!t... hopefully everyone was ok. Been through similar situations. Several years ago insurance wanted to total my 02 Explorer, I persuaded them to fix it. I'm still driving it, unforunately the Michigan winters have really started taking a toll on the lower rockers the last couple years.

Hey, thanks. Unfortunately a guy from France going the wrong way on a one way totaled it for me in downtown Chi.............
View attachment 518923
That isn't fixable without spending a bundle on it?? My 2000...well, wife's, had 100k on it and it still runs great. No telling how long that will last with the way she drives it.....

Oh Sh!t... hopefully everyone was ok.........Michigan winters have really started taking a toll on the lower rockers the last couple years.....
No air bag deployed and I banged my head on the roof and rammed my knee into the column. Wife and daughter nothing. I was more pissed than hurting at that point. A day later I started hurting.

............Hey, that's not rust, that's the northern Dodge truck trade mark showing through. Showing on my '05 Ram too.
RamRust1.jpg

That isn't fixable without spending a bundle on it?? My 2000...well, wife's, had 100k on it and it still runs great. No telling how long that will last with the way she drives it.....

Bought it new in '01. I added running boards and the OH trip counsel myself. Busted my azz keeping that thing clean. When totaled it had 72K on it and they valued it at 7600. The whole nose shifted about 8 inches to the drivers side, bent the frame and K-member but no air bag popped.

View attachment 518921
How did You like the 4.7 Corsair engine?

Last edited:
1500 sized pickup would be the smallest for me. If you need an SUV look at a Tahoe or Suburban. Suburbans were or still might be available in 3/4 ton.

Yeah those are great for towing. A friend was looking for a 3/4 ton several years ago and just couldn't find one. A buddy at work just put his 08 Yukon Denali with 155k miles and is asking $15500. Crazy how much the trucks and SUV's go for.

Plymouthman72, good luck finding something that works for you and sorry about taking over the thread for a little bit. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back