• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB TQ 4847S or big bore

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacksaw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
looking for a early 1000 TQ # 4847S or SA .... or a 4973s. if i recall right. the 4847S were on BB cop cars and HD trucks with federal smog and no NOX.
the 4973S was for a 340 with a auto
basically looking for the big non smog TQ.
yes i used someone here's pics ..lol

images.jpg

1971_340 Auto_4973_0221_01.jpg

1971_340 Auto_4973_0221_03.jpg

I had a car dealership back then and I never saw these
numbers on any production cars or trucks.
I only found them aftermarket. I myself have never seen
on that was older than the 80's.
Just my experience.

I had a car dealership back then and I never saw these
numbers on any production cars or trucks.
I only found them aftermarket. I myself have never seen
on that was older than the 80's.
Just my experience.
from what i understand the 4973S was a 71 only 340 auto. (72S was for the stick) some say 1000 others say 800 CFM
the only info i could find in the 1000 CFM 4847S puts it on a early 70's 440 HP. auto
depending on where ya look the info seems to be based on who ya ask. so ya. if anyone can give us a strait answer that would be cool.

1971_340 Auto_4973_0221_05.JPG

The 4973 was the 71 340 auto carb and the 4847S or SA was a Competition carb NEVER on any production vehicles

Most of the early 440 truck carbs had minimal emissions ports on them, probably what you are looking for. the 6545 74-77 is good, and several others.

I looked it up to be sure:

4847 was a 1000 CFM aftermarket Competition series and never
on any production car. Big Primaries

4973S was a 71 Only 340 Automatic carb 750 CFM Carb. Small Primaries
This number car was recalled and replaced by the Dealership with 72 carbs
for drivability reasons by the factory early in their life. Although recalled they
did come originally on 71 Automatic 340 from the factory (I was wrong in my
original post as I was doing it from my elderly memory.

Well I was 1/2 right in my first post = I am old.

Both these carbs are very rare and both worth a small fortune.

There are much cheaper and easier to find big primaries with less
emissions stuff off 440 Trucks from the mid 70's.

Last edited:
ok ... so what im looking for is a TQ with the big primaries and no smog or electric fuel switch on the back of it.
but still would like to find a 4847.
i have a 9212. a ton of smog on it. im guessing a lean burn

I cannot find a 9212 on any chart Thermoquads
in my shop.

A couple months ago I paid $625 for a pretty nice 4847 carb
on this site = And I am cheap.

I cannot find a 9212 on any chart Thermoquads
in my shop.

A couple months ago I paid $625 for a pretty nice 4847 carb
on this site = And I am cheap.
here ya go.
ya. i seen some for over a grand for one someone else rebuilt. so that sounds good really ..lol
il go into it anyway. so one that needs done is what im after

IMG_20231125_065351.jpg

IMG_20231125_065331.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking for a ready to run or rebuilder?
The words, “Needs done” is, “Needs to be done” as in finished, bolt on and go? Or “Need done” as in needed to be rebuilt?
Is an EGR equipped carb OK.

I have a couple on the shelf sitting around in various states.

Having messed with these carbs a bit, there ready to be modified for more cfm. Most of the race carb external ques can be copied.
Loosing the choke plate on the primary side also looses all the horizontal linkage over the secondary side.

Are you looking for a ready to run or rebuilder?
The words, “Needs done” is, “Needs to be done” as in finished, bolt on and go? Or “Need done” as in needed to be rebuilt?
Is an EGR equipped carb OK.

I have a couple on the shelf sitting around in various states.

Having messed with these carbs a bit, there ready to be modified for more cfm. Most of the race carb external ques can be copied.
Loosing the choke plate on the primary side also looses all the horizontal linkage over the secondary side.
rebuildable. i can do the rebuild and tricks myself. just want something thats all there. and i have a egr carb 9212
i would not mind a box o carbs and parts as long as one is the 1000 cfm

rebuildable. i can do the rebuild and tricks myself. just want something thats all there. and i have a egr carb 9212
i would not mind a box o carbs and parts as long as one is the 1000 cfm
I have OEM carbs. PM me and we will talk more on it later.

From what I understand, the Competition carbs were not designed to be used on the street. I really like using the aftermarket 9800 series TQ's. The electric chokes work very well, turn the key and almost instant starts. Although the 800 CFM might not be enough for your big block.

From what I understand, the Competition carbs were not designed to be used on the street. I really like using the aftermarket 9800 series TQ's. The electric chokes work very well, turn the key and almost instant starts. Although the 800 CFM might not be enough for your big block.
ya ... thay don't do well on the street ...lol i got a thing im putting together i want to look stock to the rustang guy that don't know any better im walking away from.

From what I understand, the Competition carbs were not designed to be used on the street.
This line of thinking comes from the single ring booster and large unobstructed and basically zero venturi primary barrels. I’d say if the engine is large enough, it would be OK. IDK how it would do on a small block, but I’ll find out shortly.
I really like using the aftermarket 9800 series TQ's. The electric chokes work very well, turn the key and almost instant starts. Although the 800 CFM might not be enough for your big block.
I’d say that is correct since I did have one on a 400 B block. It was a low compression ’78-400 w/1-3/4 headers into 2-1/2 exhaust pipes and a Holley Street Dominator.

I got it working very well. It performed excellent. When I swapped for a 440 TQ (AKA larger primaries) it woke up considerably on the primary use only as well as WOT.

Chrysler ended up with the large primary on all there engines in short order. It didn’t talk long for that move. I like the small primaries on 318’s. There OK time on 340’s and 360’s. The larger ones just perform a bit better on the smaller mills as well.

This line of thinking comes from the single ring booster and large unobstructed and basically zero venturi primary barrels. I’d say if the engine is large enough, it would be OK. IDK how it would do on a small block, but I’ll find out shortly.

I’d say that is correct since I did have one on a 400 B block. It was a low compression ’78-400 w/1-3/4 headers into 2-1/2 exhaust pipes and a Holley Street Dominator.

I got it working very well. It performed excellent. When I swapped for a 440 TQ (AKA larger primaries) it woke up considerably on the primary use only as well as WOT.

Chrysler ended up with the large primary on all there engines in short order. It didn’t talk long for that move. I like the small primaries on 318’s. There OK time on 340’s and 360’s. The larger ones just perform a bit better on the smaller mills as well.
ok .. so when did thay go to all big primary's? the 9212 i have is a 600-650 one with the ring in the hole rather than the little bump. was wondering if i removed that ring. would it make any differnce?

ok .. so when did thay go to all big primary's?
* I Think * ‘73/4.
the 9212 i have is a 600-650 one with the ring in the hole rather than the little bump. was wondering if i removed that ring. would it make any differnce?
600-650? With a ring in the hole rather than a bump?

LOL, I have no idea what your talking about but perhaps a picture????

* I Think * ‘73/4.

600-650? With a ring in the hole rather than a bump?

LOL, I have no idea what your talking about but perhaps a picture????
we getting off track here. and im not good with words to exsplane stuff. ...

i am looking for a 4847SA or a 4973S. whole carbs or top plate...

Small primary carbs were available throughout 1970s and into the 1980s
on 318 CID V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back