• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailer Tech

chtampa

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
I have used a lot of "loaner" trailers and just bought my first enclosed for me. Using other trailers with different combinations have also left questions.

Winch- I always see the reel needing to be rewound because of kinks in the cable.

I want a power tongue jack for easy connect and disconnect.

Some vehicles have had a brake controller in them and some have not.

Some have had a battery in them.

How would the ideal setup be done to do what I need to do?

My new to me is a 2018 Interstate 20' enclosed with trailer brakes and a small battery for an emergency disconnect. Led lights and the large round connector with a simple 2 5/16 ball slide in 2" receiver hitch.

To help with light scotch-lock connection issues, should I solder and shrink tube all the wires in the box?

You could solder the wires and heat shrink them and run them plastic conduit and use nice junction boxes where needed. Brakes on both axles with a breakaway battery kit, winch fairleads/ tensioners do help with the wire rope mess and get a small snatch block then fab a deadman for dragging in doa cars. Actually may put one in front and back and with the block you can off load with your winch. Lots of ideas ! Personally I like a junction box in the front and rear , if the wiring and plug get damaged you can fab a nice one back in and have good connections that also applies to the tailboard as the connections usually get nasty in the pockets or the tail gets drug and wires get chewed up .. just my way of doing them.

Last edited:
Winch will need it's own battery to operate. I added the same small isolator that the emergency brake away battery uses to get charged while the vehicle is running. On the winch I have both a remote on a retractable cord and a wireless remote, as the day I go to use the wireless I know the battery will be dead in the remote.

If you have a newer tow vehicle make damn sure you have the factory trailer brake package vs an aftermarket controller. My '18 F150 and even the '11 before it knows that you have a trailer on, indicates on the dash readout if you have light or brake issues and also automatically use the engine as a brake on downgrades by downshifting the trans for you. If you need to use the trailer back up assist BS you shouldn't be towing...
enclosedatlastrailer24 225.JPG
enclosedatlastrailer24 249.JPG
enclosedatlastrailer24 263.JPG
enclosedatlastrailer24 257.JPG

Battery recharge for the winch battery is a good tip. The trailer is going to be singular purpose for retirement and traveling to car shows with a specific car. Nothing else will be stored with it. I have considered two small doors in front to fasten down the front suspension. It will always be winched in. My parts buyer friend has recommended the synthetic rope on a 7000 lb winch.

Is your floor twin rolls of vinyl?

Floor painted with a 25 year old can of Alkyd floor paint that I had on a shop shelf. Walls Varathaned with a can that was probably as old..

Winch will need it's own battery to operate. I added the same small isolator that the emergency brake away battery uses to get charged while the vehicle is running. On the winch I have both a remote on a retractable cord and a wireless remote, as the day I go to use the wireless I know the battery will be dead in the remote.

If you have a newer tow vehicle make damn sure you have the factory trailer brake package vs an aftermarket controller. My '18 F150 and even the '11 before it knows that you have a trailer on, indicates on the dash readout if you have light or brake issues and also automatically use the engine as a brake on downgrades by downshifting the trans for you. If you need to use the trailer back up assist BS you shouldn't be towing...
View attachment 1199033 View attachment 1199034 View attachment 1199035 View attachment 1199036
Screw the trailer, I want that old theater chair.

Are those out of the Forum?

No, some old movie theatre in Collingwood or Wasaga Beach. We picked up the bench and the air ride stools at an Antique Mall somewhere in Kentucky on the way back from Talladega.

A dyneema rope on your winch will alleviate
any snarling cable issues. Be careful pulling
over any sharp edges. There's also reduced
kinetic energy if the rope breaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back