• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B body owners trailer question

gtx6970

Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
Any fellow 66 - 67 B body guys have or have used a 20ft enclosed trailer to haul your car.

I've been looking at trailers and a friend of mine has offered me a pretty good deal on his enclosed. And bonus points is it has the street side access door to get out of the car.

It's a 20ft with the non V nose front end

It's 2200 miles away. But the price is good enough I'm actually considering it

IMG_6638.jpg

20 ft. works good for everything other than my Superbird. I have always bought 24 ft.

I'd get a 24 ft. Trailer just to have the extra room.
That's the thing . About the only thing besides the car that will be in it.
Is spare tire(s) and floor jack. Even they can go in the bed of the truck if it's an issue.

I'm not a racer so there is zero chance need for spare parts tent chairs etc etc. 99% oft the time only the car will be in it.

And only looking at enclosed due to the trips I've got planned for next spring - summer. And the price he's given me...making a decision difficult.

I can be in this enclosed about dead even what I would be in a 18-20 ft open

I've hauled lot of cars on a 16' open trailer but a 20' enclosed is another story. Yeah, the car will go in it but that's about it. My enclosed is 24'.....

That's the thing . About the only thing besides the car that will be in it.
Is spare tire(s) and floor jack. Even they can go in the bed of the truck if it's an issue.

I'm not a racer so there is zero chance need for spare parts tent chairs etc etc. 99% oft the time only the car will be in it.

And only looking at enclosed due to the trips I've got planned for next spring - summer. And the price he's given me...making a decision difficult.

I can be in this enclosed about dead even what I would be in a 18-20 ft open
If the price is right, I'd do it. I was just saying a 24 ft enclosed trailer would be better cause it's always better to go bigger at the beginning.

If the price is right, I'd do it. I was just saying a 24 ft enclosed trailer would be better cause it's always better to go bigger at the beginning.
Agreed.

A 22.would be better. 24 is best.

But my interest in this is primarily cost driven. I wasn't even looking at enclosed until I was offered this deal.

But if it's to short to work.. I will pass and keep looking

It will be tight, but for a great deal, you can always make some extra cash on it to move up.

I've hauled lot of cars on a 16' open trailer but a 20' enclosed is another story. Yeah, the car will go in it but that's about it. My enclosed is 24'.....
I usedna 16ft open a few weeks back. And IMO leaves far to much of the car exposed on the back end.
I was looking at either 18 or prefered 20ft open when this came up.

The bad thing about a 20’ is you have to go over the fender to get out the door once you’re done strapping the front down, but since the price is right, you have trading stock if you want to move up.

I have a 20’ V nose. It holds the car just fine. Winch it on and off.

20 is tight but it will keep you from hauling junk in a 24 that might come loose and damage the car. As long as you have enough room to strap it down in front.

We are a Trailer Manufacturer for 40= years.
Will it work = Yes.
But it will be a real pain with that size car.
20 ft is generally an external measurement and
you usually lose about 6 inches between wall studs/paneling.

I’ve been looking at enclosed trailers for 2 months now. There are many 20’ trailers for sale and they are not selling. So moving up from a 20’ doesn’t look promosing.

There was one 22’ foot and it sold quickly.

I’ve been looking at enclosed trailers for 2 months now. There are many 20’ trailers for sale and they are not selling. So moving up from a 20’ doesn’t look promosing.

There was one 22’ foot and it sold quickly.
Same here. I can find all kinds of 20ft within a 2 hr radius most in the $6000 - $8000 range money wise
22s are few and far between, 24s are all over as well, But none under 10k. Which is well above my budget. Anything below that they seem to sell quick. If its decent shape

Im looking at a new 20ft open for $4000 and its 2 hrs away
A friend of mine offered me this 20ft for less than that. Its in pretty decent shape but would recommend tires due to age. BUT, like I said its 2000 miles away. Im about to retire so all it costs me to get it here is fuel and some time.

I have family back there in the area do it could be a visit trip.

Im thinking outside the box and maybe get a haul back this direction to help pay for the return trip, which will not happen till early 2024 anyway. So I have time.

Also check the total weight it’s rated for. Many 7000 max trailers with 3500lb axles, that’s not to good for a 4000 lb car. Need a 10,000 lbs rating With 5000lb axles.

Lots of good points brought up such as 20' trailers seem to be all over and not selling, 20' external dimensions you lose 6" or so, it will fit but just , and one that I encountered is the tie down anchors will be too close togeather and hard to tether down properly and comfortably. Meaning your straps will be quite short when ratcheting tight. Too bad your friend is so far away cause it would be nice to do a trial fit, kinda like buying a new pair of shoes. Maybe one of the local dealers might let you try one for size if he thinks he can make a sale. I have a 24 ft enclosed and I wouldn't go any smaller. Just some of my thoughts. Good luck with it.

Id say get it and use it a few times. If its a PITA, then at least you have some trade up equity?

Auto Transport Service
Back