• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny slips

Lenny Arsenault

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
I have the 64,65 big block cable shift tranny newly rebuilt localy and I installed a TCI 3000 stall converter. I am not sure how a tranny is surposed feel like with a higher stall converter but, I bet it does'nt feel like your hauling a trailer behind you. Something is for sure wrong here. I have be having way to many issues with this car its getting very frustrating to say the least. Do I take it back to where I got the tranny rebuilt to see it maybe line pressures are correct? It slips in every gear at any speed kickdown linkage is set by factory specs.Any Ideas or recommendations would be apprieciated.

You will feel quite a bit more slippage in a 3000 stall converter than a stock style, it depends on converter diameter, what modifications were made to achieve stall speed, rear end ratio etc. I would go back to the trans builder to have them verify proper trans function and adjustments as a good starting point.

Perhaps it is a shift cable adjustment ... There is a very specific adjustment on a 62-64 (65 is slightly different) cable shift that needs 2 people. If this is not done correctly it can cause slippage.

If you need the instructions I can copy it from my Motors manual and send it to you.

I have the original maintenance manual for 1965 plymouths and it does have specific instructions in it that I followed Im sure I did it correctly but will check again to verify.
I checked wiyh the cam manufactuer and they recommend a 3000 stall with 410 gears I have 323 gears will this make that much difference? It sounds like clutches or someone else said maybe the stall converter bearing inside cause it sounds like a screaching noise under full WOT.

I am running the TCI Street Fighter converter, as you are, 3000 stall, in my 69 RR. 451 engine. The old transmission was slipping and running away at the 2-3 upshift only. (Weak high clutch). I took a STOCK 727 from behind a 69-383 2 barrel engine, 50 thousand miles, put in a TF-2 shift kit from trans go, and the TCI converter, adj the bands, and now that thing shifts INSTANTLY!. No slippage, no hesitation. And I still have the kick down feature for passing gear. Runs 12.58@109MPH. The 727 trans in good stock condition is good enough for at least 12s, prob 11s. With nothing more than a shift kit and hi stall converter.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it slip in all gears?

- - - Updated - - -

Take it back to the tranny shop where you had it built and let them drive it to see if its working right. What kind of car?

- - - Updated - - -

You should not hear any strange noises from your trans. Only screech I hear is when it hits 2nd gear.

Thanks for the Information you guys and yes it does slip in all gears and as the car runs for a while I it feel a bit more slipping. The tranny shifts so smooth I can hardly feel it shift is this normal also? this is a stock 727 cable shift transmission. Before it was rebuilt I believe it definetly had a shift kit in it cause it shifted quit hard and firm.

Should this old girl have kickdown (throttle linkage) linkage?? Not much knowledge on the old pushbutton models.

Should this old girl have kickdown (throttle linkage) linkage?? Not much knowledge on the old pushbutton models.
Though both push button operated and console operated were cable function, these same cars had manual kickdown linkage.

- - - Updated - - -

Lenny, I'd get the trans back to the rebuilder first--though you may also have a converter problem, your trans should be shifting firmer and shouldn't be slipping above what the torque converter is designed to allow. Good luck, Bob

Hey! Bob, Krowbar I believe I have some good news on the tranny seems like the lockar cable bushing with the set screws that locks onto the cable came loose and slipped forward so therefore I had no kickdown operating correctly. I reset the cable and it seems about right now. Thanks everyone now onto the overheating problem I have. Lenny

Is the trans or engine over heating? I use 2 trans oil coolers on my RR. Too much Heat is a killer for an auto trans. In My old one, the fluid smelled burnt. That was due to the high clutch slipping, which created a tremendous amount of friction and heat.

Gary I do have a fairly good size tranny cooler so I think its ok, but the new motor is still overheating 210/220 degrees while driving the car at 50/60 MPR. Thats my next objective is to fix the heating issue I think the tranny is good now. I have another thread here on the cooling problem so I will work that a bit. Thanks everyone Lenny

Going to a 3.91 rear gear may help the engine run cooler as it wont be working so hard.

Auto Transport Service
Back