• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans cable leak

wedgie

Local time
12:20 PM
Reaction score
The shift cable in my '63 727 is dripping. Doesn't seem to be from the O ring. Looks like someone tried electrical tape without success. I was considering cleaning with brake cleaner, splitting some rubber trans line, use permatex on it, secure with hose clamps.
Other than replacing the cable from unobtainium parts, any other suggestions?
Thanks

DWV has reported using electrical shrink tubing with success. Buy the type with glue inside.
Mike

I had that same issue with my 65. I cleaned it up with brake cleaner and scuffed it with scotchbrite and smeared some epoxy glue on it. Been holding up for years now.

I just now finished cleaning with brake cleaner, spread ultra copper on the cable end paying attention to the joint, split a 4" long piece of 5/16" hose, filled it with ultra copper, slipped it on and used 3 hose clamps.
Gonna wait a couple of days and I'll report back with the results.
Thanks everyone.

DWV has reported using electrical shrink tubing with success. Buy the type with glue inside.
Mike
Yup worked like a champ on mine after dickin around with it. And yes unobtanium for sure. Used some J- B weld before the shrink also, cant hurt.

Yup worked like a champ on mine after dickin around with it. And yes unobtanium for sure. Used some J- B weld before the shrink also, cant hurt.
The Ultra copper seems to have done the trick. I honestly believe that I omly needed to clean and use a very small amount where the black cable housing is swedged into the cable adjuster.
I went overkill. Don't think that it will ever leak but the repair could look a lot better.

Cable repair03.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back