• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRANS COOLER LINES

Frankb

Local time
7:09 AM
Reaction score
Whats the correct AN hose fitting end, 45, 90, or straight, for trans cooler line? I'm fabbing up my trans cooler lines to the cooler using hose and AN fittings. I'm going to rout the lines from the trans forward to the cooler. Lines will be cut to fit. Trans, engine not yet installed in the car. (68 Charger). At the transmission I'm thinking a 45 degree hose end, for pressure and return, would be correct. I'd like to get the hose ends on the lines first and install on trans before trans is installed. I'm sure others have done this. Just want to get the correct fitting angle. Please advise. Thanks.
Frank

It's whatever fits best for your car, depends on a lot of things like header location etc. My trans has the factory-style straight threaded flare fittings, with steel lines immediately making 90° turns toward the front. If I was using rubber I would probably go for 45s to give the smoothest transition.

Stock cooler in the radiator or aftermarket cooler in front of the radiator?

Aftermarket cooler in front of rad. No cooler in rad. Lines are good for ATF

I used straight AN fittings at the trans and swept the hoses (to the rear in my case) but, forward would be the same for clearance. I did add a steel support to hold the front line tight to the floor as the header collector is directly below. Just make sure you are providing adequate support for that hose.
Mike

It also depends on if you are using factory shifter or aftermarket one of the lines coming from the transmission needs to have a 90 or 45 degree fitting to clear the linkage

use 1/2 in lines maybe put a filter in line
cooler should have half inch in and out

I used straight adapters from 1/8"NPT to 1/2" AN, i believe i used a 90deg hose adapter on the rear connection and a 45deg on the front.
By mistake i ended up with a cooler with 3/8" connections, all fittings and hose is 1/2".
In the end the adapters on the trans are the choke points with the small fitting.
I believe some drilled and tapped the transmission housing to fit 1/4" or bigger to improve flow, but mine is not for race applications so i don't require that much cooling.

Mopar used 3/8" cooler lines on everything including Hemi cars.
Mike

mopar used 5/16 lines till they found out that 3/8 was better
then went to 1/2 on the Diesels and others
use adapters to get to 1/2 you can go up one size when you rebuild the trans

I used straight adapters from 1/8"NPT to 1/2" AN, i believe i used a 90deg hose adapter on the rear connection and a 45deg on the front.
By mistake i ended up with a cooler with 3/8" connections, all fittings and hose is 1/2".
In the end the adapters on the trans are the choke points with the small fitting.
I believe some drilled and tapped the transmission housing to fit 1/4" or bigger to improve flow, but mine is not for race applications so i don't require that much cooling.
Thanks. When the trans was built the case was drilled to accept a -6 line and appropriate fittings installed so there is no bottleneck. The bigger coolers have i/2 NPT

towing, actually stop and creep generates heat, anytime the converter is working
I use the 100 plate and fin borg warner canada coolers
but pick a part FORD trucks have a great selection

Auto Transport Service
Back