• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trans rebuild time

vsj100

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
In my 68 B Body 440 engine - I am ready to rebuild the transmission. In my past I have always done manual transmissions. Please help understand 2 things about the TF 727.
1. Using the valve body that does not require the kick down rod. What it's called and how to do?
2. Please give me the tutorial on what the "stall torque converter" means. My car will be a street cruiser not a drag racer.
As always - Thank you!

ps - with the 391 rear gears it was doing 12s at the drag strip. Now the rear end is 323. The 440 makes around 390 hp

Last edited:
2. Stall speed - if you floor it from a dead stop, how high will the engine rev before it launches the car. I’d “guess” 2400-2600 rpm is about stock….total guess

Stock for what? Different engines had different converters. And the more torque you have the higher the stall speed is.

In my 68 B Body 440 engine - I am ready to rebuild the transmission. In my past I have always done manual transmissions. Please help understand 2 things about the TF 727.
1. Using the valve body that does not require the kick down rod. What it's called and how to do?
Manual valvebody. They are available from most performance suppliers or a Transgo TF3 kit will convert your original VB to manual operation. You will have to shift the trans into every range you want to use-no more auto shifting.
Mike
2. Please give me the tutorial on what the "stall torque converter" means. My car will be a street cruiser not a drag racer.
As always - Thank you!

ps - with the 391 rear gears it was doing 12s at the drag strip. Now the rear end is 323. The 440 makes around 390 hp

VSJ, this book explains a lot of what you need to know to do it yourself.
IMG_2328.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back