• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transferring Title in the US

Slant 6 Music

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
To be sure, I'm not asking anyone to post potentially illegal advice.....but.....

Has anyone titled a car from Canada into Wash state? To make sure I had no hiccups at Customs, the bill of sale reflects the actual amount of the car. Coincidentally, I happen to have a blank bill of sale. Our tax rate is over 10% in the SSOW.....

Does anyone know if the import paperwork will show the actual cost on the paperwork from customs? Thanks!

My advise: If you can afford the car you can (or should be able) to afford the tax.

Imagine if someone imported a car at 70 grand and then registered (titled) it, somehow, as a car that cost 15 grand and when the said car was written off, stolen or totalled and the owners insurance provider said pound sand, we’re only giving 15 grand for the car as that’s the declared value on the title….

2 cents

That said I have no idea how Washington state rules work..

My advise: If you can afford the car you can (or should be able) to afford the tax.

Imagine if someone imported a car at 70 grand and then registered (titled) it, somehow, as a car that cost 15 grand and when the said car was written off, stolen or totalled and the owners insurance provider said pound sand, we’re only giving 15 grand for the car as that’s the declared value on the title….

2 cents

That said I have no idea how Washington state rules work..

Doesn't work that way. Insurance has no idea what one reports to the DMV plus it doesn't matter as the insurance company is using it's value if it's a total

If you under value it to register, then sell and the buyer tells the truth when registering ! If that happens up here you're then on the hook for capital gains on the increase in value if the IRS pays attention...

I lied when I bought my Wife a 'Vette in 1992. Paid $30K and the seller and I agreed to write up bill of sales for $15,000. I paid tax on 15k and a few weeks later I got a nasty letter from the Ontario Government. They called the seller, got his Wife and you know what she told them. I had to pay the tax on the $15K I shorted them on and then a 100% penalty on said amount, so I ended up paying taxes on 45 grand instead!

You lie and I'll swear to it. Works for me.
How many people think governments should get to tax the same property over and over and over?....not talking about home properties for funding schools, etc.

I've always gotten and given blank bill of sales. Never had a problem with it. I was just wondering if anyone in the US has titled a car they bought out of Canada and if the paperwork they showed included the sale price. I actually used the correct sales price in the customs documents.

How many people think governments should get to tax the same property over and over and over?....not talking about home properties for funding schools, etc.

I've always gotten and given blank bill of sales. Never had a problem with it. I was just wondering if anyone in the US has titled a car they bought out of Canada and if the paperwork they showed included the sale price. I actually used the correct sales price in the customs documents.

Let me rephrase. Does anyone know if the customs paperwork you have to present to the US DMV, includes declared value?

I'm just wanting to prepare for the insane taxes the SSOW will want to collect.

Let me rephrase. Does anyone know if the customs paperwork you have to present to the US DMV, includes declared value?

I'm just wanting to prepare for the insane taxes the SSOW will want to collect.
I'm sure they do. You might as well just plan on paying.

I just go by what my dad told me when I was a kid.
If you lie it takes another to cover that one then another and another...............it just does not end.
Much better to just do what's right.

They may require a us emissions label. Ran into that in the 70's. I hope they will not mess with you. But a good idea would be to purchase a re-pop and put it on before you try.

Thanks for the tip. Car was originally built for export, to be shipped to Chile! Codes on the tag and window sticker with Build for Export and Domestic Publications codes. But original owner who was in the military, got a green card and stayed in country. So the car was re-routed to NJ. Built in St. Louis. The original emissions sticker is in place.

Auto Transport Service
Back