• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Installation

Bob Lynch

Local time
2:54 AM
Reaction score
Hello:
Does anyone have a referral for a good classic car shop in the Orange County area of Southern California that does transmission installation.
I'm looking to change out my automatic to a Tremec 5-Speed in my '67 GTX.
I don't have the equipment in my garage to handle this job.
Thanks for any input.

That’s more than an installation. Clutch pedal and related parts, pivots or hydraulic system, etc, cutting floor, different mount & crossmember. Dial in the bellhousing, driveshaft length changes. Potential exhaust pipe changes.

Might try contacting the guys who sell the swap kits and see if they have preferred installers.

Yep sounds like 10-15 grand
That’s more than an installation. Clutch pedal and related parts, pivots or hydraulic system, etc, cutting floor, different mount & crossmember. Dial in the bellhousing, driveshaft length changes. Potential exhaust pipe changes.
Console
Column?
Speedo

Thanks for the input:
I'm in touch with SST for the complete kit and I need a shop that can install the whole thing, turnkey.
I'll check with some kit sellers to see if they have some shops that do that.
It's a 727 in there now, center console, and I'll keep that the way it is with a new top plate.
I wish I could do this at my house, but no equipment, and all my motor head friends have moved.

You can buy a lot of tools for what that install will cost you. You'll still have the tools. @Kern Dog has a thread on this swap, if directs you to it. It's step by step, you'll know whether you want to tackle it.

Hello:
Does anyone have a referral for a good classic car shop in the Orange County area of Southern California that does transmission installation.
I'm looking to change out my automatic to a Tremec 5-Speed in my '67 GTX.
I don't have the equipment in my garage to handle this job.
Thanks for any input.
Check this out.

Tremec 5 speed conversion in a 1970 Charger

There were a few obstacles along the way but with the help of a few members here, I got it done mostly by myself. I had to buy a few tools but it was FAR less than if I paid a shop to install it.
Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back