• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission leak, maybe!

Huicho417

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
394E10F7-54F4-4128-9537-9354C1017915.jpeg
BD4D21CA-141D-49FB-AF37-8EDAD5C7D555.jpeg
6215ACD1-1534-4F1C-8D19-95E48AC3B437.jpeg
Is it possible to have the transmission leak if I jack up the car at the front. I installed a sway bar today and had the car jacked up from the front for two days. I replaced all the seals on the transmission two weeks ago and it was not leaking at all after I installed it. When I finished the sway bar I put it back down and took it for a spin. By the way, huge difference with the sway bar and adjusting the steering gear. Now that it’s back on my driveway I peeked under the car and saw a small drop under the bell housing. I kept my eye on it and it was only about four drops which seemed to have stopped now. Only logical explanation I come up with is that some fluid leaked out the torque converter and settled at the rear of the bell housing, then came forward when the car was lowered again.

? on the oil leak. Nice sway bar, did you get a stronger bar from the previous ? I don't understand the part about adjusting the steering gear. How did that effect things.

My car did not have a sway bar originally. The one you see is the Summit 1-1/8" which works great. The steering gear on the top has a lock-nut and a screw that can be loosened or tightened to bring the gear up or down. This allowed me to reduce the amount of play the steering wheel had side to side before the tires start responding.

Yes, positive it’s transmission. No sign if cooler lines leaking or any other fitting in transmission. No signs of leak from yesterday to today.

Did you find the oil trace at the converter area?
There is a small vent opening in the pump housing that is covered by a shield, some oil could come out from there over time, as you said it might have accumulated in the bottom of the housing and came out after you lowered the car.

The steering gear on the top has a lock-nut and a screw that can be loosened or tightened to bring the gear up or down. This allowed me to reduce the amount of play the steering wheel had side to side before the tires start responding.
I was told to be very careful with this adjustment, you will find these gearboxes have maximum clearance in the center, but after turning in either direction this clearance becomes less.
Adjusting it "tight" in center position might get too tight when steering.
Did you get rid of all the steering slack?

Inn mmm have not removed the converter inspections awhile to check. However the leaking stopped as of yesterday.

After tightening the steering gear, I got rid of most of the play in the steering wheel. It feels more like driving my 2014 truck when steering. Not too tight.

Auto Transport Service
Back