• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

transmission mount problem

Atlas

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Dodge coronet that i am installing a 66 727 torqueflite. The mounts are different from one year to the next. I intend to use the 65 crossmember and modify the 65 mount but my mount is original and has a few cracks in the rubber. I would like to find one in nice shape but am not really sure of the modifacations that will have to be made. Putting an old 331 Chrysler Hemi modified. To put in a 727 i had to install a 1 inch spacer/adaptor which my compound my problem so buying a mount that i'm not sure of the mods means i would like the price to be reasonable. Anyone have ideas?

In my 65 Fury, I used a 1973 Monaco cross menber because it was set up for the newer spool mounts. I used a later style 727 trans, not certain of the year, was likely a 70-74 ish model. If your trans is further back because of an adapter plate, you might be able to get away with a simple flat plate to adapt the trans to the mount.

I put a 1970 318/904 in my 63 Belvedere beater. It was a Poly/3 on the tree.
I had to modify the trans cross member and used a 68 A body trans.mount.
Had to cut out the area of the 63 mount and fit the A body mount in it's place.
Then welded a strap to mount the 68 mount . It's best to measure the original so the replacement is in the same location so as not to mess up the pinion angle trans to rear alignment.Did the same to a 64 Dart when replacing a newer engine/trans in place of the factory set up. Only photos I got.
IMG_2851.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_2866.jpg
IMG_2867.jpg

Some cutting,grinding,welding and fitting along with trial and err but it worked for me.

Hi Mike, Just seeing the cross member you made. Looks very similar to what I have to do. Can you let me know what car and what k member you are using? I have a 63 Dodge, with a 66 k member 440/727 and gear vendors. Just looking at options as the stoch cross member will not work at all.

Hi Mike, Just seeing the cross member you made. Looks very similar to what I have to do. Can you let me know what car and what k member you are using? I have a 63 Dodge, with a 66 k member 440/727 and gear vendors. Just looking at options as the stoch cross member will not work at all.
@493 Mike

1965 Belvedere with maximum engine setback. I have a RMS front suspension but, the trans cross member doesn't know that! I used a later model spool trans mount with urethane replacement "rubber". 1/4" plate is the new cross member and front "washers". I used OEM bolts with flanged nuts (because I had them). I just used cardboard to make a pattern and torched it out. Pretty easy fab. I probably should have cut some lightening holes to reduce more weight.
Mike
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG

Awesome! Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I am going to copy your design. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Awesome! Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I am going to copy your design. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks!
I glad I could help. Did you notice the GV extension housing? I had everything mocked up to get the drive shaft where it needed to be. I also drilled a hole to accept the E-brake cable.
Mike

Last edited:
I used a later issue factory cross member and mount. You just have to cut the ends down as they are to long as the hole spacing is wider on later b-bodies. Once cut to the same length slice the vertical sides a little until when pressed up the inner holes line up, mark & redrill the outer holes like the original crossmember.

Mike's placement of the gear vendor tailshaft is exactly where mine is, with the trans mount holes essentially in the center of the cross member. I have fitted the later mount and made a cardboard template. Next up is a 3d print to make sure the fit is good before I make the steel version. I will add pictures as I have them. I did not have an original transmission to refer to. Is there a standard position for the yoke on the back of the transmission? Distance from top of the tunnel? Is it centered in the tunnel? Any help on setting the correct location for the trans mount welcomed.

Mike's placement of the gear vendor tailshaft is exactly where mine is, with the trans mount holes essentially in the center of the cross member. I have fitted the later mount and made a cardboard template. Next up is a 3d print to make sure the fit is good before I make the steel version. I will add pictures as I have them. I did not have an original transmission to refer to. Is there a standard position for the yoke on the back of the transmission? Distance from top of the tunnel? Is it centered in the tunnel? Any help on setting the correct location for the trans mount welcomed.
In pursuit of transmission support, you must be mindful of driveline angle. Shoot for stock angle and everything should be fine. There are discussions on this site that will guide you.
Mike

1965 Belvedere with maximum engine setback. I have a RMS front suspension but, the trans cross member doesn't know that! I used a later model spool trans mount with urethane replacement "rubber". 1/4" plate is the new cross member and front "washers". I used OEM bolts with flanged nuts (because I had them). I just used cardboard to make a pattern and torched it out. Pretty easy fab. I probably should have cut some lightening holes to reduce more weight.
Mike
View attachment 1591603View attachment 1591604View attachment 1591605View attachment 1591606

very nice :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back