• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission problems, kinda

66 bel

Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
When I put my transmission in reverse it seems like it slips until it warms up on start up only. Once it warms up it doesn't do it ? What would be the problem?

Low transmission fluid? Pinched off transmission cooler line from hitting a bump? Dirty transmission filter? Transmission pump starting to go out? There are more qualified transmission guys on here than me.

In reverse only? What if you start cold and go forward? Try letting it run in neutral, not park for 1 minute. What happens?
Doug

Ok on a cold start. It's the same in forward and reverse

In Drive you are connected with the sprag
In Reverse and Low the band is applied
if you have the same problem in D and R then it's not the band- but adjust it anyway
sounds like an oil pressure problem, converter charge, bushing
start in N not P and let it run for a minute- problem still there- you get no oil flow in P unless you have a shift kit

Is that bushing difficult to change?

no
but if you pull the trans check everything about the pump and converter nose
my daughters A904 had the problem only in reverse- it was the band- and in too big a rush to back up the steep driveway late for school :)

seeing that it happens in drive and reverse when you start the car it sounds like converter drain back, a common problem with Mopar transmissions. I always start my car in neutral so the the pump will fill the converter with oil and then put it in gear and it goes right away.

All the above, reverse needs 200psi(?) to operate, only about 70+- for forward.

Ok on a cold start. It's the same in forward and reverse
Could be a converter fill issue. What if you run it in neutral for 1 minute? Does it still feel like it slips? How does the fluid look? Level, color, smell? No same component (clutch or band) are applied in 1st or reverse. So the fault can not be attributed to a single clutch or the low/reverse band. The intermediate (kickdown/2nd) band is out of the equation at ii is applied only in 2nd gear.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back